Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

Interesting idea. I'm pretty sure you can get this to work on a UM2 with a bit of work. You'd probably need the electronics they provide, as we dont offer 3 extruder controls.

• Replies 315
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way? the um2 supose to be ready to work with 2 extruders

Yeah the electronics of um2 will let you work with that diamond nozzle as far as I know to use two extruders isnt the problem. Ultimaker choosed not to lauch 2 extruders becuase the quality and heat but if you make your own mount that should work. Also that extruder uses one heater only right? That mens you could put a 40w heater (max of the stock power supply since um2 uses 20w heaters).

I don't see the point in using this nozzle. It's only good for the same material and 2 colors. Even then on complicated parts 2 colors won't work properly.

Different colors can require different temperatures 2 print in good quality, also why would you want 2 colors? That's not exciting. If you want color then you want full color prints, so look into those.

It will be no good for 2 different materials unless you can print both materials at the exactly the same temperatures which is highly unlikely. No good for materials like woodfill and can't change the nozzle size easily.

@Labern: Sounds as if you have you have some more insights into that hotend than is commonly known (or have it even tested?). Can you say something about how it is actually constructed close to the nozzle opening (pressure situation, geometry,...)?

What about changing the way we're going about it. Instead of having an extrusion head side by side with big temperature differentials. Why not just have an un heated highly insulated head that prints a wax that is merely forced extruded through the head. Like play dough.

(For support material).

Then instead of having to engineer some crazy head that's taken ul 2 years. You'll just need to find some sort of material that will work.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

Who said there is no proper dual extruder? There is, on my Spiderbot Delta. Dual extruder with Tilt, works flawlessly.

image.thumb.jpg.973b977650773dc74abfed2b83717274.jpg

image.jpg.2488081603496c671e927134cfe9886c.jpg

image.jpg.c385496667f87fa5cc221fc2fdb0ea32.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.973b977650773dc74abfed2b83717274.jpg

image.jpg.2488081603496c671e927134cfe9886c.jpg

image.jpg.c385496667f87fa5cc221fc2fdb0ea32.jpg

Edited by Guest
    Extra pucture

The tilt I understand but how do you deal with oozing of the nozzle not in use ?

Any video ?

Well, I got impatient. So I'm making a dual extruder setup for my um2 with or without the support of UM. Also working on a dual feed single head for those lower res long builds.

Well, I got impatient. So I'm making a dual extruder setup for my um2 with or without the support of UM. Also working on a dual feed single head for those lower res long builds.

Whatever you do, please share it with us :)

Then you should read this:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer

It's 39 pages explaining how to mod your UMO or UM2 to do dual extrusion in such a way that it works quite well. Well worth the read!

I've read it and many other sources online. I also found that Ultimaker decided that they were going to abandon the dual extrusion project. I think it will be more rewarding to design it on my own anyway.

Untitled.thumb.png.26dea68fee5dacb2a950f16337b46af4.png

Untitled.thumb.png.26dea68fee5dacb2a950f16337b46af4.png

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of the "tool changer" method simply because for me it would be re-inventing the wheel when all I have to do now is fill my tire back up.

Absolutely. I'm just working out which material will be the most advantageous (thermodynamic-ally) and simple to use (plug and play), and then its off to our machinist.

With one head you limit the kinds of materials to yust colors. With one head and two 'mouths' you hardly can control for one not to loose filament becuase the gravity. So with the tool head you just remove the problem from the scenario to use different materials and avoiding it leaking over the print area. Also weight. But if you just want multiple colors yeah that can work.

I have found the adjustable retraction to solve the (dripping material problem).

I found this video about nozzles/heads really illuminating.

It's long and the audio sucks but there are parts worth watching.
    • Like 3

A few of the reasons why I went with two feed one nozzle,

1.) same feed rate per line but double the production

2.) exact same melt rate per line but double the production

= no material slippage yet higher production out of a single "mouth"

3.) with two feeds it will open the availability of tinkering with high carbon filament/PLA mixtures

The original problem is the low cc/m that I was achieving out of 150 mm/s through a .4 nozzle

so I bored out a .4 to a 1.6 (I could care less about ultra high accuracy in my line of work. this was perfect until the material melt rate couldn't keep up. So I knew I couldn't melt pla at more than 350C ish. So the solution was that I needed to be melting more than a few mm of material at a time. (enter Dual feed single "mouth"). Basically the general goal is print at aproximately 250-300 mm^3/s. Not too far off to imagine considering I was getting about 220 mm^3/s consistently (according to cura).

Have you seen the Builder 3D-printers?

They already have a rather neat "two filament to one nozzle" solution.

Have a look at the spare parts here: http://3dprinter4u.nl/product-category/3d-printer-parts/

Note that the builder3d-printers only use this to mix fillaments in a gradient. Quite different from dual material.

Polymaker ( http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polysupport/ ) just released a support material that does not have the downsides of PVA. It seems to be a kind of PLA that has very weak adhesion. Maybe its worth for the Ultimaker team to revisit Dual Extrusion with this material in mind?

Also, while a different Support material is definitely the biggest reason for dual extrusion, dual color is nice as well so I would really like to urge Ultimaker to investigate some more. I've bought two Ultimakers ( 1 & 2 ) and this is the only big thing that they are lacking. I must admit I also bought it expecting there to be dual extrusion in the future.

Cheers,

Mad