Posted · Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

Just to clarify - there's no such thing as the "UM1". Because Ultimaker didn't want to imply that the UMO is older. Because the UMO gets updates all the time and is sometimes the newer printer and then sometimes the UM2 gets an update and then the UM2 is the newer printer for a few weeks. So it's "Ultimaker Original" and "Ultimaker2".

Note that the builder3d-printers only use this to mix fillaments in a gradient. Quite different from dual material.

This is not true, they use a prime tower when changing filaments, to get rid of the extra internal filament. I have seen them print with double colors and with pva. They showed several printers at the RapidPro (februari 2015) printing all day with different setups.

Oh cool. Last thing I saw of them was the gradient. Pretty awesome that they got it to work.

Note that the builder3d-printers only use this to mix fillaments in a gradient. Quite different from dual material.

I have been looking into mixing different filaments (high carbon with pla)

This is not true, they use a prime tower when changing filaments, to get rid of the extra internal filament. I have seen them print with double colors and with pva.

Is pva a ployvinyl...acetate?

I must admit I also bought it expecting there to be dual extrusion in the future.

Yeah same here

Us too, and many other it would seem.

I must admit I also bought it expecting there to be dual extrusion in the future.

Yeah same here

I just went ahead and built it myself....

Yeah same here

I just went ahead and built it myself....

Does this program do the following. : Estimate print time, material quantity and cost before printing.pp

A few of the reasons why I went with two feed one nozzle,

1.) same feed rate per line but double the production

2.) exact same melt rate per line but double the production

= no material slippage yet higher production out of a single "mouth"

3.) with two feeds it will open the availability of tinkering with high carbon filament/PLA mixtures

The original problem is the low cc/m that I was achieving out of 150 mm/s through a .4 nozzle

so I bored out a .4 to a 1.6 (I could care less about ultra high accuracy in my line of work. this was perfect until the material melt rate couldn't keep up. So I knew I couldn't melt pla at more than 350C ish. So the solution was that I needed to be melting more than a few mm of material at a time. (enter Dual feed single "mouth"). Basically the general goal is print at aproximately 250-300 mm^3/s. Not too far off to imagine considering I was getting about 220 mm^3/s consistently (according to cura).

I see you haven't been on here in awhile. I was wondering how your 2 into on was doing? Any pic's of it?

Thanks Ed

A few of the reasons why I went with two feed one nozzle,

1.) same feed rate per line but double the production

2.) exact same melt rate per line but double the production

= no material slippage yet higher production out of a single "mouth"

3.) with two feeds it will open the availability of tinkering with high carbon filament/PLA mixtures

The original problem is the low cc/m that I was achieving out of 150 mm/s through a .4 nozzle

so I bored out a .4 to a 1.6 (I could care less about ultra high accuracy in my line of work. this was perfect until the material melt rate couldn't keep up. So I knew I couldn't melt pla at more than 350C ish. So the solution was that I needed to be melting more than a few mm of material at a time. (enter Dual feed single "mouth"). Basically the general goal is print at aproximately 250-300 mm^3/s. Not too far off to imagine considering I was getting about 220 mm^3/s consistently (according to cura).

I see you haven't been on here in awhile. I was wondering how your 2 into on was doing? Any pic's of it?

Thanks Ed

Shes doing fine. Unfortunately i dont work in the office for the company that owns the printer. Now i only consult for them.

But they are still using the printer and it is working great.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

Hello everyone

I'm new in the forum even though I follow you for quite some time, I have a UM2 + modified dual extruder and I've installed 16.12.1 Tinker, work Cura 2.4.0, when I start the print the machine stops to release some of the material before starting to print, stays for 3-5 seconds without releasing it and starts printing, is there a way to change the time of release of the material before it starts?

thank you

Edited by Guest

I think you have a wrong word in there somewhere. Could you try to rewrite the question? It doesn't make sense to me, sorry.