Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Dual extrusion

What's with all these high tech, Expen$ive solutions? What about the obvious? Just bolt on the 2nd nozzle off to the side outside the bracket that was meant to hold it. In other words, don't put it next to the 1st extruder. Put some space between the two extruders. You don't need to overengineer it. Just make it work. I REALLY want to buy an Ultimaker with dual extrusion. Thanks :-P

The further apart, the more loss of printing area. The Bowden has the advantage of a smaller foot print and less mass- both important it seems to multi head set ups.

How did the E3D guys do the Kraken with 4 heads?

Make that 2 more words: 1.75mm

As a (very) end user, who is really happy with his (almost) out of the box so far nicely working U2, i must say: Even with a dual head of another company (The Kraken) i would be happy.

Bought my U2 with the expectation/plan of getting a dual head, after a learning peroid of using the machine, as soon as it would get in store. This was (with no need) announced last year already for july 2014. The ONLY thing i begin now (more and more) to miss is the possibility to print supportmaterial for wellknown reasons.

As i plan to start a (small) business i probably need to get another printer for prints with overhangs now, right? The earlier mentioned Orcabot XXL would be (by quality/price) probably the nextt option, although the Mendelmax 2.0 in combination with The Kraken would be an alternative. (?) Yes, it is a quality/budget issue...

BUT i would rather just see a dual head The Kraken see in my (first) U2, even if this means a watercooled "solution". Really not possible/realistic?

Your postings regarding a dual head engineered by yourself seem/sound to be kinda in a dead-end street. No offence.

Make that 2 more words: 1.75mm

I would be fine moving to 1.75mm if it enables dual extrusion.

If at same time, you could plan to have swappable nozzles, that would be fantastic.

If at same time, you could plan to have swappable nozzles, that would be fantastic.

Problem with that is (we seriously looked at that option) that we need to re-engineer and test everything, feeder, tube, head parts, hotend. And we need to change our material supply chain. So we're not doing that (yet, not saying we never switch to 1.75. But not for the UM2)

I understand the technology transition challenge, as I have to manage similar challenges professionally every year.

What I meant to say, is that if there is a dual-extrusion solution moving to 1.75mm and there is none with 3mm filament. Or even if only the second head and extruder would be 1.75mm, I would consider it. Not having a dual-extrusion solution would be more disappointing imho.

I put some serious thought and time into the over heating issue and redesigned the existing hot end. My version will mount to the existing hot end carrage system. It will require only 2 new plates and a small heat shield to be machined and supports existing fans and heat sinks. I put a thermal break and radiant shield inbetween the heads to reduce heat transfer and allow for stable multi-tempiture printing. The fans can be set for push pull or pull-- pull however this needs to be tested to see what option is better. The best part is this setup could be machined and tested in a few days at very little cost. I hope the UM team at least trys my design and if it works great!. You could donate the first production dual head printer to me to assist in making accessible PS3 controllers for disabled gamers. Being Sony refuses to make such a controller because it wouldn't make them a large profit. Tell me what you think guys. I believe it will work great and may try to make my own to test if I can get my local machine shop to help me out.

umdh 1

Hi all,

if it's a solution (perhaps not THE solution), in 1,75 printers you have the Printrbot Plus Dual but I have no idea of them cooling system, I think they haven't all the solutions, perhaps yes.

What do you think about it ?

I read that one downside to 1.75mm is that size variance is more of a problem. 1.75mm+-0.05 is much worse than 2.85+-0.05 in terms of changes in volume due to the variance in diameter.

Recently found this kickstarter project developing a 5 nozzle printer. See the video at the bottom of the page, they use water cooling to reduce the temperature.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ordsolutions/5-color-material-3d-filament-printer-made-in-canad

I don't actually know their nozzle sizes though.

I'm interested in why you would need to go to 1.75 to use water cooling?

These guys developed a dual kit with a .3 and .5 nozzle for rapid infill, if I remember correctly. http://robox.cel-uk.com/robox/rbx1-dmkit.html

Maybe there is a chance to find out how they managed to cool everything to right temperature, as it seems their nozzles are as close as the ones in the um2.

What about cooling with a Peltier element? Don't know if that will be a solution. It's just my 2 cents...

Example:

http://www.conrad.nl/ce/nl/product/182610?WT.mc_id=gshop&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsJyfBRC729Oy5Pf26ekBEiQAYtd9QYOJiCIKO4z5-_Kx9KFNCT5u3w9mXaw0NTbkqab--HUaArNF8P8HAQ&WT.srch=1

I think a Peltier element on works well if the ambient temperature hot side is relative cool. In this case that side is already above at least 160 celcius.

What about cooling with a Peltier element? Don't know if that will be a solution. It's just my 2 cents...

Example:

http://www.conrad.nl/ce/nl/product/182610?WT.mc_id=gshop&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsJyfBRC729Oy5Pf26ekBEiQAYtd9QYOJiCIKO4z5-_Kx9KFNCT5u3w9mXaw0NTbkqab--HUaArNF8P8HAQ&WT.srch=1

The problem with a peltier is when you apply power one side gets very cold however the other side gets very hot and needs its own cooling to maintain the tempiture difference or the element will burn out. I played with a few trying to make a self contained recirculating cooling vest but the elements were not very efficient and required large heat sinks.

But it doesn't hurt to explore any and all possible options so good looking out!

any news about dual ext' ??? it is august already !!!

Like we have said in this topic several times; Don't expect it any time soon. There are tons of reasons why this is somewhat problematic.

Also, the current issues have priority over adding new features.

For those who want a dual extruder printer and don't want to wait for the UM version there is a G-Max kit out that has a 16 x 16 build platform with a dual extruder add on. The only down side is it does not have a heated bed and requires you to assemble it. But it looks like a nice kit for the price. I have been following this printer for some time and believe for my next printer I will give this a try if the UM version is not ready by then but first I want to buy a cnc router.

http://gcreate.com/gmax-printer/

Like we have said in this topic several times; Don't expect it any time soon. There are tons of reasons why this is somewhat problematic.

Also, the current issues have priority over adding new features.

That is pretty unfortunate. The fact that the kit was announced for "around july" was the final decision point for me to buy an UM2. Guess we'll have to wait as there is little else to do.

It seems like the day it will eventually be released will be a busy day for sales at Ultimaker.

I'm just patiently waiting for it to arrive. If they release it to soon then it will be rushed, problematic and probably not the best solution. So it's better to give them time to implement it properly.

When you dream about the possibilities and things you can use it for does really make you want it now though.

It will be nice to have a bigger nozzle on one side so then you can use the bigger one for woodfill and other problematic filaments but still retain the smaller one for pla etc.. without have to swap out nozzles.

I've not seen a consumer grade printer with two heads that works well without tons of tinkering. So if you really, really want dual heads, prepare for a world of pain (and buy an UM original, we do have the kit for that).

I know that it has been said that it would be released for July, but that has been a big miscommunication. It has been quite clear that this date was unreachable for a long time.

We really do see the need for an extra head, as this could solve a ton of problems (support material anyone?) and add quite a few nice features (nozzle for infill that is bigger, small nozzle for detail, etc). It's not my project, but I'm really sorry that it's not there yet.

I just want to make this clear (in case it wasn't already):

I don't blame you guys for anything. I really appreciate the awesome work you guys do and what a challenge these things are.

I just am generally disappointed, pretty much for all the reasons Labern mentioned. I wanted the second nozzle to be able to print materials that required a bigger nozzle hole and to be able to print PVA as support (I guess everyone does?). The fact that this will be (much?) later than planned is a bit of a let down, but won't stop me personally from enjoying my UM2 and the stuff I can make with it :)

So I prefer a working solution rather than a "get it right now but you have to mess around all the time" solution