Slicing problem - one layer of stringing

Valkrider

Posted · Slicing problem - one layer of stringing

I have 2 cones that I need to print a large one and a small one. I have drawn both in FreeCad and they render fine.

I load them into Cura V4.8 and they load and slice fine.

With the large cone on layer 20 suddenly I get a single layer that goes across the whole of the cone and then the next layer above all is fine.

With the small cone I get exactly the same thing on layer 77.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this issue?

hmmm, Cura says the model is not watertight, but not sure if it is really the case. The small one slices normal, I see no problems in the preview. 

You can try to use https://service.netfabb.com/login.php to repair the STL, just in case there is very small defect in the file.

Thanks I will give it a try. FreeCad says it is fine. I saw the problem when I printed them and then checked the Cura preview and found the layers that were causing the issues in the preview

Ok, I haven't seen something in the preview. Which layer height have you used? Maybe I can reproduce it.

42 minutes ago, Valkrider said:

FreeCad says it is fine.

How are these objects made in FreeCAD?

It doesn't look good at all. Nothing more than a few thousand "flying" triangles that are not connected.

In addition: The wall is razor-sharp at the tip. Which kind of printer can build this...?

grafik.thumb.png.bbcb22a04096254d14ed596c23880edb.png

grafik.thumb.png.09ef7a733e675b979eb7c4c3243bf318.png

It should look like this:

grafik.thumb.png.4a9f4fb6530f0300d2ec884279f67af9.png

cone3.b.stl

My layer height is 0.2mm.

The wall is not razor sharp at the tip it is flat with a wall thickness of 0.8mm and a hole in the top of 1.9mm.

11 hours ago, Valkrider said:

The wall is not razor sharp at the tip it is flat with a wall thickness of 0.8mm and a hole in the top of 1.9mm.

This may be valid for the larger one.

There's a sharp edge on the tip of the smaller cone.

Anyway - both models are broken and therefore results of slicers are unpredictable.

If you don't have seen it yet - here is a comprehensive tutorial about preparing models with FreeCAD:

https://yorikvanhavre.gitbooks.io/a-freecad-manual/content/working_with_freecad/preparing_models_for_3d_printing.html

grafik.png.23b4048d2ca257e51793408b9492fa54.png

Can you explain what you mean by "both models are broken" please?

broken  =  not suitable for slicing...  so redesign or repair the designs to get the best result in slicing and printing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valkrider said:

Can you explain what you mean by "both models are broken" please?

I quote myself:

On 12/1/2020 at 9:21 PM, tinkergnome said:

Nothing more than a few thousand "flying" triangles that are not connected.

That's the opposite of a manifold geometry.

You can load the stl files in Meshmixer (e.g.- like i did above) and it will show all mesh errors in different colors.

Why is a manifold mesh important?

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learning-hub/create-3d-file/fix-non-manifold-geometry/#Part-3

You can load the stl files in Meshmixer (e.g.- like i did above) and it will show all mesh errors in different colors.

I did this and didn't get the same result as you. All I ended up with was one red sphere

Vielen Dank

ich habe im IN eine neue Variante gefunden, welche die neuen .stl dateien abschliesst!

Bei meiner "SCHATZKiste" klappt es 1x bei 9 Versuchen!! Aber ich habe ja zeit 🙂

Vielen Dank für die Unterstützung!

Bleibt schön gesund 

und ein frohes und besinnliches Weihnachtsfest!!

fritzi