Converting 3d ultrasound images to stl/obj

frodeheg

Posted · Converting 3d ultrasound images to stl/obj

I had this idea about 3d-printing my unborn baby based on some 3d ultrasound images, so we got transferred the raw-data from one 3d-ultrasound session on an usb-stick, but the format look a bit proprietary and I cannot find a way to open them. Does anyone know how to convert .vol/.raw ultrasound files to .stl/.obj ?

The .vol files start with the text "KRETZFILE 1.0" while the .raw files start with the text "%HDF" if that mean anything.

Even if there is no such conversion program, I would gladly write software to do the conversion if I got a description of the file formats. Does anyone have any details?

I'm absolutely positive getting a 3d-print of your unborn baby right from the ultrasound clinic will be huge in the future :-)

I have no experience with that filetype but I have played around with DICOM files from a couple of my x-rays in a few different programs. Maybe those file formats are somewhat related? I used a program called DeVIDE to extract an STL. It's not intuitive in any way but there's a vid on youtube that explains it ("devide stl" should find it).

As for just viewing the data there's tons of programs out there, most are pretty crap though. The one I used that I liked the most isn't available anymore and wont even start for me now :( (it does online checks to a server that no longer exists...).

I have tried OsiriX, when I donated my kidney for my mother last year, I tried to make a 3d model of my kidney, but it is not easy,

a lot of programs that claim to be able to do it, cost a lot of cash.

OsiriX is able to read the my scan files and make a clear image, but have not found a way to export the data to a 3d file

http://www.osirix-viewer.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I really appreciate these tips.

DeVIDE looks promising (although a bit complicated). I'll see if I can get the ultrasound company to convert the files into .dvx for me.

He guys,

Planing on 3d printing some stuff from an mri-scan next week.

I am going to use mitk, the medical imagery toolkit.

If anyone is iterested, i could write a small how to.

I think you can actually open 3d ultrasound files but i dont know for sure just giv it a try! It's completly open source and free to use (made by the company i am working for!)

Regards

Ji11x38

Absolutely interested and would love to see a tutorial.

Hi Guys,

I too would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction

for software I could use to convert the raw data of an ultrasound scan into a format that

can be 3d printed. Ji11 a tutorial will be absolutely fantastic. Please send.

Regards

Ohene

Hi guys,

I didn't find enough time just yet iam sorry...

I managed to get things running with ct data and am not to sure if you'll be able to handle the specific ultrasounf format...

Since the mitk-software is really komplex i'll need some time to finish the tut (and the pictures i was planning to use)

Ji11x38

I have been looking at the same problem for sooo long. I know it can be done with mimics software but it is so expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used imageJ to convert CT scan slices into 3D object that could be printed on Ultimaker. Works fine, cannot yet show results awaiting publication...

ImageJ is free!

Hope this help!

http://www.jove.com/video/50250/3d-printing-of-preclinical-x-ray-computed-tomographic-data-sets

I usually do dicom conversion to stl with a planing surgery program called Dolphin imaging, but can be done as describe in that web site as well with free programs as invesalius, netfab, meshlab and mesh mixer.

Ask your radiologist to record the 3D eco as dicom files.

I like invesalius more than image J. Is easier to use.

hollo

how can i download a 3d sonography file from unborn baby for convert to 3d printer?

I got my models here:

http://www.spl.harvard.edu/

and then I used 3dslicer to export to stl:

http://www.slicer.org/

it worked ok !

Hello innovators,

Has anyone managed to 3D print a fetus from a 3D/4D ultrasound?

If yes can you explain the process to me?

What file formats should I extract from the ultrasound machine?

Many thanks for your help.

I used imageJ to convert CT scan slices into 3D object that could be printed on Ultimaker. Works fine, cannot yet show results awaiting publication...

ImageJ is free!

Dear middlelbh

I am an orthopaedic surgeon in london. I have been using 3DSlicer to convert the DICOM of CT scans of bones into STL files that then can be used in Cura. It works most of the time - but sometimes the model fails to print. This maybe something to do with the complexity of the model

I would be interested to try ImageJ. Have you published? Can you tell me how to export an stl from ImageJ as I can not see this as an option

Thanks

MM

I haven't seen Invesalius mentioned here yet... (ok, I'm blind, Handyman posted about it). it's what the guy working on 3D printing medical imagery at our local hospital uses...

http://svn.softwarepublico.gov.br/trac/invesalius

I'm not sure it can handle your data formats though... DICOM seems to be the medical standard format.

I have been dealing with this topic for some months. I am an obstetrician doing 3D ultrasound for the last 15 years. I tried with several software as 3D Slicer or Invesalius. The problem with General Electric Ultrasound machines ( the most widespread 3D ultrasound brand all around the world) is that the exported DICOM files seem to be in a propietary format that it is not standard. There are some alternatives as the DICOMatic software from Tomovision to convert the General Electric DICOM files into "standard" DICOM, but at least with the demo version of Dicomatic I was not able to obtain a readable by 3D slicer or Invesalius.

I apologize for my english ( I am from Spain)

I know that there is a solution. You can visit https://www.facebook.com/vroimpresion3d

I was involved in this project at the first steps sending my 3D volumes but , unfortunately , the project developed in a private bussiness and the software is not availabe. So I am starting again...

Hi,

I am looking for someone to come on 'All Things 3D' to talk about converting ultrasound images to tangible model. From this thread and my own research there does not seem to be an easy or free conversion process, especially if GE scanners are involved. Is anyone is doing this as a business or has written software to process the images, please contact me at mebalzer@allthings3d.com so we can interview you.

Thanks,

Mike Balzer

Producer

All Things 3D

Hi,

If anyone is wondering how to do this, I am planning to talk about it on "3D in Review" this morning at 9:30 a.m. PST.

https://plus.google.com/events/ckq7v5a6fu58g7ce57g8f1fvru8

Mike, could you please email me? I am a teacher at a public high school in Arkansas and have some questions about 3D printing of ultrasounds. My students have a 3D printer in our room and we are very interested in your advice. Thanks so much! toni.hall@hbgsd.org

The Mimics Innovation Suite by Materialise is a nice solution for this purpose. It is a dedicated medical image post-processing tool for 3D printing. It imports and processes traditional 3D imaging (CT/MRI) in addition to several 3D US formats. Exports variety of 3D formats including STL. It is not meant to be licensed to individuals as there is significant cost associated with the license. Intended for commercial, clinical and academic research use.

Our 3D medical image segmentation software ITK-SNAP makes it pretty easy to extract structures from 3D scans and save them as STL files for 3D printing. Structures can be labeled manually or extracted semi-automatically.

The software is open-source, and available for major platforms from itksnap.org

Unfortunately, it will not read proprietary .vol files - but if you convert to standard DICOM, NIFTI or other common 3D image format, it works.

can some plz provide me 3d ultrasound scan data of fetus in dicom format.

i m working on 3d printing of fetus.

i have gone through multiple softwares and i have worked a bit on echocardiograpic data.

now i need dicom data of a fetal scan.

thanks.

I am doing it with materialise mimics but I would really like to do it with open source software.

adeelamalik send me an email or something to send you dicom ultrasound data.

I am doing it with materialise mimics but I would really like to do it with open source software.

adeelamalik send me an email or something to send you dicom ultrasound data.

I'd like to try that DICOM ultrasound data. I'm new at this, I downloaded the Invesalius and ITK-SNAP software to start making STLs.