Firmware modifications for bondtech and um2+

Posted · Firmware modifications for bondtech and um2+

I recently got a new bondtech feeder and changed the heater(25w) and sensor on my um2 to the ones for the um2+(35w). How do I modify my firmware to match these modifications.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Firmware modifications for bondtech and um2+

I (had my friend) change the heater on my UM2+X and there was no software upgrades needed. The 35W is just more robust than the 25W, so heating up goes faster, and the heat sensor stops pushing the heating once the temp is right and keeps is at the same temp.

The Bondtech feeder does need soft/firmware upgrading and I'm working on that as well.
I have the Bondtech BMG Extruder for 1.75mm on order, and I know it will want an E-step value of 415, but I don't know how to get that into the machine.

What feeder do you have?

Edited by Arwen
clarification

Bondtech QR 2.85 mm

Though apparently there are firmware changes needed for the heat sensor as well as the heater. i heard this from the place i bought my ultimaker from(fbrc8).

You can either send custom gcode to your printer.(check ultimaker forums for more info)

or you can use tinkergnomes firmware to adjust the esteps inside your printer.

Edited by kwill5800

Posted · Firmware modifications for bondtech and um2+
    6 minutes ago, kwill5800 said:

Bondtech QR 2.85 mm

Though apparently there are firmware changes needed for the heat sensor as well as the heater. i heard this from the place i bought my ultimaker from(fbrc8).

You can either send custom gcode to your printer.(check ultimaker forums for more info)

or you can use tinkergnomes firmware to adjust the esteps inside your printer.

I absolutely did not make any changes in the firmware for the 35W, as I don't know how to do that (yet), and I've been printing for ages this way. And the previous issues are gone.
    It may be that I'm not getting the most out of the 35W this way, but my friend assures me that it is still an upgrade, and it solves the issues, and that is all I need; 3D printer keeps on printing.

I've checked on the forum about how to adjust E-steps, but most replies are 4+ years old and point to pages that no longer exist. Not helpful. Yes, they keep saying to send a custom gcode to the printer. But they don't say how, and what this code should say.

Getting out a, to me completely new, software like tinkergnomes firmware to adjust 1 setting seems a bit much, and I would like to avoid that.

(FYI, I have 2 printers, and one of them had the 35W upgrade and the other is getting the Bondtech extruder)

8 hours ago, Arwen said:

I know it will want an E-step value of 415, but I don't know how to get that into the machine.

That's easy:

• install pronterface (or any other software with a serial console)
    • connect via USB cable, COM port depends on your operating system, baudrate is 250000
    • use the pronterface console to send two gcode commands to the printer:
      M92 E415  ;set e-steps
      M500      ;save settings

more about pronterface:

https://support.th3dstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048171391-Sending-Gcode-Via-Pronterface

or - even easier:

• put the two lines from above in a (plain) text file
    • save the file on sd-card as "esteps.gcode"
    • "print" the file as any other gcode-file

Check the Marlin firmware 1.0 documentation for more details about specific gcode commands.

The use of a more powerful heater needs perhaps some tweaking of the PID values. I think there is a menu option on the printer to change these values (if needed).

Default values of the UM2+ are here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/blob/UM2.1_JarJar/Marlin/Configuration.h#L206

Edited by tinkergnome
    • Thanks 1