Cura leaving part of the print hollow

filopat

Posted · Cura leaving part of the print hollow

Hi,

I tried to print this part: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Csv9d5oDyoYzVUWm55RDRNRUU/edit?usp=sharing

When the part is in default square position on bed, Cura leaves it partly hollow like in the screencapture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Csv9d5oDyoVkNCWFJJd1FJaUE/edit?usp=sharing

If I rotate the part even slightly, Cura does infill correctly.

Filopat

If I rotate the part even slightly, Cura does infill correctly.

Oh. I missed that part. Strange. I tried rotating on 2 different axes and saw no problems.

If you can recreate it, try checking some of the "fix horrible" settings. There may be a tiny opening somewhere in the STL. I looked at it and it looks good ("manifold") but there could be a tiny hole somewhere.

Well, I have Cura version 13.11.2 running Windows 7.

I can't find any holes in mesh, I recalculated normals in blender and removed doubles, so mesh should be fine.

I don't have a real issue with this, because I could print the part correctly by rotating it on the bed. Just found this odd...

I think it would be good if we could locate the problem so Daid can fix any bugs in cura but he isn't going to do that if he can't duplicate it and I certainly can't duplicate it - I tried rotating the minimum: 15 degrees and it was fine. I suppose there is a way to rotate less than that (hold shift key or something?). If I knew exactly how much to rotate to duplicate this then we could have Daid look at it. Or maybe I will be able to see the problem better.

If you check the expert-option "fix horrible type A" does the hole go away then? This fix horrible option has been made default as of 13.12, because I know only of 1 model that it does not work correctly on and lots of models that it fixes.

Ok, I investigated this a bit.

The only way I can replicate error is: Drop the model on platform, do NOT rotate it! Apply uniform scale 1.02. Slice the model with shell thickness 0.8.

Anything else, rotating the part aroud z-axis, thicker shell, or another scale, then the part is filled correctly. So it must be something in the math of infill.

Fix horrible type A does not remove error.

More info:

In expert settings infill overlap must be 25%.

Cura 13.12 produces same error if all the settings are as mentioned above.

Slices fine with those settings (and infill at 60%) for cura 13.11.

There is an odd bug in a library I use that could be causing this, a new version of that library fixes it, and I hope to implement that soon. (Some external stuff of the library has changed, requiring some changes in my engine code)

I am having same problem I can put 10% 40% 80% ans I still get empty shell with know good model.

I am having same problem I can put 10% 40% 80% ans I still get empty shell with know good model.

Version?

Did you play with the "fix horrible" settings? Can you post the STL somewhere and provide a link?

It was 14.01 no I did not play with any other settings.

I have gone back to 13.10 and it is printing fine.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:84271

I sliced it just fine. Tried a few different settings and it worked fine until...

I changed "20" to "20%". It turned bright red and did 0% infill. Could that be what you did?

It also says "20% is not a valid number or expression".

ok i didnt use % sign i just put in numbers 20 40 50 70 100

here is the g code https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6dQZ8ooyMRyQlEydTEzS3YtUTA/edit?usp=sharing'>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6dQZ8ooyMRyQlEydTEzS3YtUTA/edit?usp=sharing'>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6dQZ8ooyMRyQlEydTEzS3YtUTA/edit?usp=sharing'>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6dQZ8ooyMRyQlEydTEzS3YtUTA/edit?usp=sharing

here is the profile setings..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6dQZ8ooyMRyQlEydTEzS3YtUTA/edit?usp=sharing

was printing ok then it stopped connecting to laptop to i put files on sd card and was printing ok then the print was not looking right so i bumped the infill up and then i got the hollow and now all my objects print hollow.

You turned on spiralize! Turn that off. I've never used that. That is for only very very specific prints and only works for very very limited shapes and it turns off infill (overrides lots of settings).

It will also make your nozzle over extrude by 2X if you ask for .8mm wall because it only does one pass.

It's only to be used for cups and vases and only certain shaped ones - For example it will not work for a coffee mug due to the handle. Spiralize is of extremely limited use.

Ok I I will turn it off bit I have printed the exact same thing with no issues.

I will try without and see what happens

Before you print it - look at it in layer view with and without spiralize turned on.