Octoprint and Ultimaker 2, A couple of month's experience

abstract

Posted · Octoprint and Ultimaker 2, A couple of month's experience

For one printer, were you able just to setup Octoprint and connect to the printer?

I can't seem to get Octoprint to connect to my printer and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My home OctoPi setup works flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I tried to setup an octoprint(octopi) on my UM2 today but the Z axis is inverted. It tries to move up the plate instead of moving it down....

Anyone know how to fix this in octoprint? I beleive it must be a simple setting somewhere but I can't find it.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I just tested again and it seems to work... I may have picked the wrong file in octoprint.

Is it possible that reprap gcode format fix the z-axis invertion?

For releasing parts from the build=plate, if they don't come off easily when the plate cools, stick it in the freezer for a while, and they should come off easily.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

So I'm having an issue with my OctoPi and Ulti2 and I hope you can help. I can see the printer and send jobs but as soon as I send a job the filament retracts really far into the tube so jobs will not print. Any idea what issue is?

Posted (edited) · Octoprint and Ultimaker 2, A couple of month's experience

The only thing i can see a use for this is the camera and off switch? other than that surely if your printer is working well you dont need it? unless im missing something, i guess its nice for devs and people who like to tinker.

I mean you need to be there to load the filament (unless you pre load it) and be there to take it off to get the next model printing eitherway?

If the whole idea is to kick off a print remotely, i think its risky, does it mean if it fails to start or starts messing up you need to quickly drive home and set it up again? if so then that seems a bit of a headache? I just ask the security guard at my work to turn off the printer if its not moving, lol. My mate asks his neigbour! lol.

Seems like a total waste of time to me. i cant see any advantages other than kicking off a print that is likely to fail if anything goes wrong. sounds great lol.

Edited by Guest

Did anyone manage to get Octoprint working with 15.06.xx?

Mine is working but I'm not able to mimic the start of a print like the UM2 normally would do. I cannot send gcode commands to park the head in the left front and extrude some filament before the start. Also it doesn't wait until the head and bed are on the preset temperature. It starts printing imediately.

I tried creating a printer profile for UM2 + Octoprint, based on the UMO, but with no luck.

Did  anyone manage to get  Octoprint working  with 15.06.xx?

Mine is working but I'm not able to mimic  the start of a print like the UM2 normally would do.  I cannot send gcode commands to park the head in the left front and extrude some filament before the start. Also  it doesn't wait until the head  and  bed are on the preset temperature. It starts printing imediately.

I tried  creating a  printer profile for UM2 + Octoprint,  based on the UMO, but with no luck.

I am also trying to update with the latest Cura - I use Octopi to deliver the prints to the UM2 which is operated remotely.

Previously we had to use the REPRAP export GCode format - but I don't see an equivalent in the Cura Prefs for the machines.

With respect to heat-up, I always manually heat the bed to 75c, then manually heat the head to 230c, and whilst watching the camera feed on the Octopi, I push extrude 2 or 3 times and watch the filament come out into a ball. I also hit the home head a few times and this eventually makes the ball of filament fall to the ground. Just as it does that I start the print. This ensures a fully primed head and gives great results on the first layer.

Maybe the standard UM2 GCode output from Cura will give the sam results as the REPRAP mode previously used, although I seem to recall that the UM2 output does NOT include the temperature ? since it is set by the filament selection in the UM2. Having said that I see that the Cura version does allow selection of temperature - so maybe that overrides the setting in the UM2 ?

Anyone have any answers here ?

Thanks. !

Confirmed - UM2 GCode from new Cura is no good for Octopi. First test failed because the bed didn't even raise.

Anyone have any info on getting REPRAP format GCode out of new Cura, for use with Octoprint and a UM2 ?

Did  anyone manage to get  Octoprint working  with 15.06.xx?

Mine is working but I'm not able to mimic  the start of a print like the UM2 normally would do.  I cannot send gcode commands to park the head in the left front and extrude some filament before the start. Also  it doesn't wait until the head  and  bed are on the preset temperature. It starts printing imediately.

I tried  creating a  printer profile for UM2 + Octoprint,  based on the UMO, but with no luck.

I am also trying to update with the latest Cura - I use Octopi to deliver the prints to the UM2 which is operated remotely.

Previously we had to use the REPRAP export GCode format - but I don't see an equivalent in the Cura Prefs for the machines.

With respect to heat-up, I always manually heat the bed to 75c, then manually heat the head to 230c,  and whilst watching the camera feed on the Octopi, I push extrude 2 or 3 times and watch the filament come out into a ball. I also hit the home head a few times and this eventually makes the ball of filament fall to the ground.  Just as it does that I start the print.  This ensures a fully primed head and gives great results on the first layer.

Maybe the standard UM2 GCode output from Cura will give the sam results as the REPRAP mode previously used, although I seem to recall that the UM2 output does NOT include the temperature ?  since it is set by the filament selection in the UM2.  Having said that I see that the Cura version does allow selection of temperature -  so maybe that overrides the setting in the UM2 ?

Anyone have any answers here ?

Thanks. !

Hey guys, been working with Octoprint/new Cura. Just wanted to post up the gcode scripts I've been using to get Octoprint working correctly. You will have to manually fill in the temperature values marked with "?". I have not tested the Pause/Resume scripts yet, so be warned. Everything else seems to be working fairly well.

-Kevin

;Start GCodeG21 ;metric valuesG90 ;absolute positioningM82 ;set extruder to absolute modeM107 ;start with the fan offG28 ;homeG0 X20 Y20 F15000 ;bring extruder to the frontG1 Z25 F15000 ;move the platform down 25mm     M190 S? ;bed temperature     M109 S? ;extruder temperatureG92 E0 ;zero the extruded lengthG1 F200 E55 ;extrude 55mm of feed stockG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length againG1 F15000 ; set travel speed;End GCodeM107 ;fans off    M104 S? ;cool extruder    M190 S? ;cool bedG91 ;relative positioningG1 E-1 F200 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressureG1 Z+5 E-25 F15000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even moreG28 ;HomeM84 ;steppers offG90 ;absolute positioning;After Pause GCode (NOT TESTED)G90 ;absolute positioningG1 E-25 F200 ;retract the filament before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressureG1 Z20 F15000 ;move the platform down 20mmG0 X20 Y20 ;bring extruder to the front;Before Print Job is Resumed GCode (NOT TESTED)G90 ;absolute positioningG92 E0 ;zero the extruded lengthG1 F200 E55 ;extrude 55mm of feed stockG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again;After Connection to Printer is EstablishedG28 ;home allM107 ;fans off    M190 S? ;warm bed    M104 S? ;warm extruder

Edited by Guest

I like to try your script, but because 15.06 didn't work for me I went back to 15.04.

Is there a way to run 15.04 and 15.06 side-by-side?

That way I can run production and experiment with the new version without having to install it every time.

Maybe Nallath can help us with the the temperature settings?

There should be no problems running both versions of cura on your machine. I am doing the same because 15.06 led to horrific over-extrusion on the first layer.

The proper codes are already in place, all that is left to fill in are the values which are dependent on the material you are printing with.

For example, I normally print ABS using 250c for my extruder and 90c for my bed. At the end of the print I like to cool the extruder to 150 and the bed to 80. This way it heats up quickly when I start my next print. When the connection to the printer is established I like to auto-warm the bed and the extruder to 150/80.

If you are using an older cura with your settings changed to reprap flavored gcode, you will need to edit the start/end gcode in cura. If you are using the new cura (15.06.x), you will have to enter the start/end gcode into the octoprint gcode script settings.

Of course, all of these scripts can be edited to suit your needs.

-Kevin

Edited by Guest

I also thought that entering the start/end gcode into the octoprint gcode script settings was the way to go. But when I do that the printer doesn't heat up but starts printing immediatly. Must be something wrong in the gcodes I entered.

I will try to install 15.06 next to 15.04 en try ity again.

Update: I tried to install 15.06, but then it overwrites the 15.04 version. My machine runs on Ubuntu linux

Theo.

Edited by Guest

Hello,

i also have setup our new "ultimaker 2 extended" with "Octoprint".

But i have an strange issue and i dont know what i can do.

I have setup a test print, with Cura 14.04.02 and 14.04 .. also i set the GCode Flavor to Marlin Sprinter and set the filament diameter, and also i setup the "start gcode" and "end gcode" with the above snippets.

Next i uploaded the the gcode file to octoprint, and loaded it.

Than i start the prinz prozess it does everything nice.. but there is no extusion at all.. there is material extrusion... i have checked all variables twice.. the printer start printing normally, but its like there is no filament mounted to the printer. :(Also the nozzle and bett headups correctly).

Has anyone an Idea??

I have got the same problem.

I have had to give up printing via OctoPrint for now.

I presume this must be the updated firmware in the UM2 ?

I was very happy with Octoprint until I recently updated the UM2 and Cura

Hello,

I have setup a test print, with Cura 14.04.02 and 14.04 .. also i set the GCode Flavor to Marlin Sprinter and set the filament diameter, and also i setup the "start gcode" and "end gcode" with the above snippets.

Than i start the prinz prozess it does everything nice.. but there is no extusion at all.. there is material extrusion... i have checked all variables twice.. the printer start printing normally, but its like there is no filament mounted to the printer. :(Also the nozzle and bett headups correctly).

Has anyone an Idea??

UDPATE: In case anyone arrives here, I found the solution:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/18342-successful-result-octopi-start-and-end-gcode-for-um2

I have got the same problem.

I have had to give up printing via OctoPrint for now.  

I presume this must be the updated firmware in the UM2 ?

I was very happy with Octoprint until I recently updated the UM2 and Cura

Hello,

Has anyone an Idea??