What causes this issue?

Buffdude

Posted · What causes this issue?

Hey! 

I'm in the middle of re-calibrating my CR-10s. I'm following this guide: https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#intro and ran into some weird issue and don't know what is causing it. I was at the "retraction tuning" section and when printing the model provided there, I noticed that the round shape is being printed weirdly like it has a lot of "corners" around it (thats the best I can describe it) so the surface is not smooth.

I tried to print 3dbenchy and I can see the same problem when it's printing the front of the boat where is curvature.  Skirt around the model seems to print without this problem. When the printer is at the curve it seems to slow down and it can be clearly seen and heard as the motors are going back and forth as it was trying to print multiple very small small corners or teeth around the round object and with the acceleration tuning model it is very clear because all it's doing is basically round shapes between two towers and it looks like it's printing a cog with alot of teeth (doing a bad job at it though as seen in the images).

All I have done at this point in the calibration process is: Levelling the bed normally and via manual mesh bed levelling, calibrated the extruder E-steps, set new flow rate in Cura. Also I have set retraction distance to be 1mm because my printer has direct drive extruder and I have seen other people suggest value around there when using direct drive, but I dont see how this would cause the issue since it's not retracting there.

20201220_012554.jpg

20201220_005444.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 16 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies