Has anyone here printed a Tantillus?

chrisp

Posted · Has anyone here printed a Tantillus?

No problemo!

That would be great to have someone else to build/compare the Tantillus to. I can only keep my attention at one forum at a time and the rep rap forum for this build is not where I want to keep searching for info. I was thinking about redesigning the case of the tantillus so it can be printed with less pieces, but the top 4 pieces have to be printed in 4 pieces in order to put the x & y rods in place. Or modifications can be made to the top section so the rods can pass through the case, kinda like the UM2. So many options, so little time.

Anyhow, thanks for the interest and it's great to see some others wanting to try out this open source printer.

I've been trying to find a hobbed bolt I can use with this build, without any luck it is time to get creative. I looked at a few different ideas on Thingiverse, but nothing was really designed to do the job right. Or it was for the wrong use.

Then I thought, how hard can it be to make one with my tools at home and this extremely useful 3D printer.

Here's what I came up with.....

This is called "The Hobbit", which is a fitting name for sure.

It runs off of bearings, just like all of my prints do, and it also locks into place for each cut.

The Hobbit does a really nice job with little effort on my part. I basically set the bolt into the carriage with the dremel on high speed and let gravity do the cut.

The only thing is, the notches have to have a slightly bigger gap in between the teeth and depth of cut. So I will try a 20 tooth gear instead of the existing 24 tooth gear and I will make the insert for the dremel slightly taller for a deeper cut.

Here's a pic of my first try:

Looks great! I had not clue what a Hobbed Bolt was until I started reading about the tantillus.

the many many many joys of having a UM original Kit, you learn what everything is called during assembly :p

Just an update here.....

I'm still waiting on 2 linear bearings which only seem to come from China. (LMS8UU)

I have everything else, accept for the power supply, LCD panel, knob, and kapton tape.

I will post pics tonight of my current progress. It would be done already, if it weren't for the delayed items that are hard to get.

Great to hear, thanks for the update definitely looking forward to those pictures! I like watching this project develop, keep any pace you need!

Here are the latest pics.

I didn't like the way most of the original blue pieces came out so I reprinted almost everything in white. The two lower gears had to be reprinted because the stepper motors I bought have a 5mm shaft and I printed the 4mm gears. (No biggie)

I also changed all of the hardware to SS.

When I started this project my layers were set at 0.1 and now everything is being printed at 0.2.

The speed is a much more valuable time saver and the quality of the print is very close to the same.

20140217 181738

20140217 181753

20140217 181819

Wow this thing is definitely coming together nicely :grin:!! Your Tantillus looks great, what do you think your next biggest hurdle is? How well are you finding things line up together? What didn't you like about your blue pieces?

The two lower gears had to be reprinted because the stepper motors I bought have a 5mm shaft and I printed the 4mm gears. (No biggie)

This is the best part, if you had to buy new fabricated gears you would be out money and a lot more time while you waited for pieces to arrive.

Thanks for the post!

Also OH NO, where have all the thread pictures gone? I think there are some forum issues, I've bees reading other posts where others can't even post images. Too many great print images clogging the servers :mrgreen: lol?

what do you think your next biggest hurdle is? How well are you finding things line up together? What didn't you like about your blue pieces?

My next biggest hurdle is figuring out what I'm going to do with the buildplate. I had some friends cut me some glass and 1/4" aluminum plates, but I have to be able to incorporate a way to level the bed. The glass and aluminum seem to be too thick and I am now wishing I had a Mill. I could bore out the exact cuts I need to make the aluminum seat into the Z axis arms and then drill some holes in the corners to mount some screws and springs for adjustments.

Everything so far, has lined up perfectly! I won't know for sure until the machine is running of course. The machined rods were the most time consuming.

The blue prints were a little warped. I ended up printing an entire buildplate full of blue parts when the temperatures dropped in the 40's here and the buildplate wasn't hot enough, so I had a noticeable amount of warping. (I like the white pieces much better anyhow)

I had to delete some pics in order to place new ones. I think there's a limit on how many you can have uploaded in your gallery.

Will you be adding a heated bed to the tantillus?

If so, what heater will you be using?

I have an idea that 'i might want to try building one of these with a friend at some point, but have had a difficult time finding any 10x10 cm. heat elements

At first, no heated bed. Not sure how I'm gonna go about heating it yet.

So how did you end on this project? is it printing yet?

I just ordered lasercut parts for one :D

@Tommyph1208: I pretty much put it on the back burner for a while. It's complete except for the PTFE Bowden Tube, LCD Display, Braided Fishing Line, and Power Supply. I've been working on so many projects I feel like a kid with severe ADD. :eek: BTW, who did you get the laser cut case from?

Here's what it looks like now with the two front panels off.

Tantillus

Hot-End with nozzle ready to go.

20140628 170245

I no longer have the need for a heated bed, thanks to this Ninja Plate that is going to lay right on top of the acrylic.

NINJA PLATE

It looks great! Love the colors too :D

Is that an original J-head or Chinese knockoff? (I count only 4 cooling vents, but hard to tell with the mount on...) Any experience with those?

I got the lasercut parts from eMaker, user: indieflow: http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1180

He has them in both acrylic and birch plywood... I got one of each since I couldn't decide... think I'll just have to build both :)

Thinking of painting the wood with spraypaint (did this on my UM1), qnd lightly sanding the acrylic for a frosted glass look.

I think I will try the cable driven z thaat sublime added later on... No leadscrew, no z-wobble, and slightly cheaper too :)

@Tommyph1208: I got it straight from the manufacturers website as listed on the BOM from the forums. I hope it's an original and not chinese, but what isn't made in China these days...

It has 4 cooling vents/gaps. No experience yet as the UM2 was my first 3D Printer.

It was fun printing everything, but I think it would have been better to just buy the laser cut case version.

Let me know if you want to sell one of yours. :-P

@Tommyph1208: I got it straight from the manufacturers website as listed on the BOM from the forums. I hope it's an original and not chinese, but what isn't made in China these days...

It has 4 cooling vents/gaps. No experience yet as the UM2 was my first 3D Printer.

It was fun printing everything, but I think it would have been better to just buy the laser cut case version.

Let me know if you want to sell one of yours. :-P

Haha

Shipping from denmark to Florida would be horribly expensive :) I have seen on ebay some US vendor selling the printed parts with acrylic lasercut panels. Maybe they could be persuaded to sell just the panels?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tantillus-3D-Printer-Kit-Printed-Parts-Acrylic-Panels-/181159475285?refid=store&ssPageName=STORE:HTMLBUILDER:SIMPLEITEM

Alternatively, you could search online for a cutting service and send them the opensource lasercut drawings, or find a hackerspace somewhere and lasercut them yourself :)

With regards to the hotend, I'm pretty sure all original J-heads have 5 cooling vents, meaning yours with 4 is a Chinese copy... That dosn't mean it dosn't work though... I just wanted to give you a heads up if you weren't aware, which I guess you weren't...

I found this blog post by the original J-head designer, which is why I know, you might wanna give it a read and judge for yourself :)

http://jheadnozzle.blogspot.dk/2013/11/is-j-head-real.html

You can find more by searching around a bit on google for j-head china, or j-head clone

Just a little update, I recieved my two lasercut frames for the Tantillus (one wood and one acrylic) from indieflow on eMaker, and Im happy with the quality...

I sanded the acrylic panels for a nice frosted glass look :)

I just used 240 grit on one of those electric sanders that shake rather than rotate, I think the result looks quite nice :)

Lasercut acrylic case

Lasercut acrylic case

Very awesome project you did here!!

I am currently working on printing all of the parts for my Tantillus printer. I currently have like 1/4th of them printed as i can only use the printer for about 2-4 hours a day mon - fri only. I wish i could use it all the time then i would have everything printed much quicker!

I must ask where did you get all of the parts for the printer that are not printed?

Bolts nuts screws electronics motor everything? I currently will only have all the printed pieces but am looking at where to get everything else to finish my project.

I seen alot of the parts you can buy separate on ebay but i was hoping to find it maybe togeather?

Also i did not find the rods yet

Thanks for the help!

Very awesome project you did here!!

I am currently working on printing all of the parts for my Tantillus printer. I currently have like 1/4th of them printed as i can only use the printer for about 2-4 hours a day mon - fri only. I wish i could use it all the time then i would have everything printed much quicker!

I must ask where did you get all of the parts for the printer that are not printed?

Bolts nuts screws electronics motor everything? I currently will only have all the printed pieces but am looking at where to get everything else to finish my project.

I seen alot of the parts you can buy separate on ebay but i was hoping to find it maybe togeather?

Also i did not find the rods yet

Thanks for the help!

Firstly, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I got my hardware at http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/default.asp this is the best place to get any quantity you need at a good price and free shipping.

I have ordered motors, bearings, & others from ebay and http://www.robotdigg.com/

I ordered the electronics kit from Amazon seller 3DPrintingUSA which included everything needed for $129.00 (RAMPS 1.4 + MEGA 2560 R3 + SD Reader + 4 x A4988+ Wiring Kit)

For the rods your best bet is McMaster Carr and then cut them to length. I used a dremel & grinder

I scrapped this project because it was very difficult to work on this printer and so enclosed that my big hands and fingers had a hard time working on it. I am now building the Richrap 3DR Delta Printer from the same parts.