First print on Pro Bundle not a success

CQAdam

Posted · First print on Pro Bundle not a success

Not sure if this is the right place to post,

got my S5 bundle today. Finally got it to work and did first print. Not looking very good at the moment. Any tips?

I also had a lot of trouble with the printer as it did not have latest firmware. I did the setup as it was in the book and it did not say to update first, it said the machine will once it is going. This set me back a few hours!

97BAC867-86ED-48EE-837B-73246C7018CF.jpeg

Well I don't have much to go on with this picture but you should know that PVA absorbs water in just a few days being left out in the air so you need to keep it in a sealed bag with fresh desiccant.  You can restore PVA by heating it but this might not be your issue.  If it gets wet it tends to sizzle and pop as you print it (the water is boiling).

Can you show some screen shots from cura in prepare and also preview mode?  And explain what happened?  Did the printer stop suddenly?  Was there a message?  Did you stop it?  Did it finish normally?  Is that outer material PVA?

I have the material station. I printed this within 1 hour of unpacking the pro bundle. The pva was brand new in sealed bag, until I used it.

The pva seems to be breaking down as it got higher.

I noticed that on the last layer the head was  hitting the top layer, and was pushing the job down. I took video.

743C2D46-C54B-471C-B447-41DFD8088B6C.jpeg

D4BBED7F-34D6-4CA9-AB67-D590B54C020A.jpeg

It could be something got into the nozzle - especially with a brand new printer a tiny piece of metal or something may have clogged the nozzle - carried up into the nozzle by the PVA.  Do some cold pulls - there is a menu option to do hot and cold pulls.  This should get any debris out of the nozzle.  Once you've printed a few meters through all possible tubing you should be done with cold pulls but a brand new printer (it seems to me) may have a little bit of dust or something.

Posted (edited) · First print on Pro Bundle not a success

It's not something wrong with your nozzle. I had the exact same problem yesterday with PVA in the Material Station on my new Pro Bundle. The BB nozzle clogs partway into the print.

Update: After carefully re-seating all of the Bowden tubes in the feeder and the decouplers, I was able to successfully print the S5_Printer-test from the included USB stick. It appears the Bowden tubes may get displaced during the process of unpacking and assembling the Pro Bundle.

Edited by wdvogel
    • Like 1

Maybe.  But realize that a brand new machine is more likely to have a bit of PFA tubing in one of the bowdens - maybe the end was double sliced and a sliver got inside or something else that doesn't melt at 220C.  If a bit of plastic or metal is anywhere along the path it will eventually find it's way to the nozzle and cause a clog.  In the first few meters of printing.

Once you get past the first 10 meters of filament through the nozzles the printer should be good for months if not years.