UM3 - print core leaked and cannot be removed

Fred804

Posted · UM3 - print core leaked and cannot be removed

While printing, I noticed a lack of extrusion and aborted the print, thinking it was a usual clog.  However, I found that the print core on the right extruder leaked and filled the entire space between and under the the cores.  I am hoping the only problem is the print cores, but I can't remove them.  Can anyone help with suggestions?   It looks to me like the leakage is contained by the cores, but I can't remove them even if I try to remove both at the same time since the plastic has fused them together.  I am guessing that plastic between them must also be fused to the mount for the print cores.   

20201229_122013 copy.jpg

20201229_122022 copy.jpg

This looks like a head flood which is usually caused whent he part is wider than tall and comes loose from the print bead.  Or sometimes if the door pops open (much less likely).  In either case the door eventually comes open so if the door was still closed then this is probably a leaking core just as you suspect.  The heat break may have cracked open.

Anyway hopefully this is PLA which is so much easier to deal with.  Ideally you want to use a heat gun.  PLA softens around 52C so you only need to heat it up to 70C (anything between 70C and 100C aka tea temp will work).  Combine the heat gun with patience and a tool such as a popsicle stick or needle nose pliers.  Be extra careful around the wires - the heater and temp sensor connected to those wires are both quite delicate.

Posted (edited) · UM3 - print core leaked and cannot be removed

You want a heat gun or something where you can control the heat, to warm up the plastic partly melt it again so you can then pull it off with something. Just being carful of any wires and that.

I would say it's likely a print failed also what can make parts get stuck to the nozzle and drag around the the printer when forces filament back up under the nozzle cover.

Edited by Carla_Birch

• 2 weeks later...

We had the same problem printing nylon. The bed seemed to stop moving down overnight and the nylon just kept extruding out until the print ended. Ultimaker had no solution or idea why it happened, they ultimately sent us a new print head with two new nozzles in it. Problem hasn't happened since.

IMG_0587.JPG