Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Cura is usable but buggy on Apple M1 MacBook Air

Posted · Cura is usable but buggy on Apple M1 MacBook Air

I am successfully using Cura v4.8.0 on an Apple MacBook with the new M1 chipset. It functions, but is rather buggy in some places. 

• Previews usually don't work. Nothing shows up in the preview window. (Likely an OpenGL issue?)

• I have to restart to load in a new model, or to do almost anything following performing a slice.

That is about all I have noticed so far. Apple brags about the ease of updating applications to run natively with M1. Hope that Ultimaker can address this issue with a quick cure-a.

Posted (edited) · Cura is usable but buggy on Apple M1 MacBook Air
    17 hours ago, tracyevans said:

Hope that Ultimaker can address this issue with a quick cure-a.

That is unfortunately fairly unlikely.

Cura uses a lot of components that are not written or maintained by Ultimaker. A GUI framework called Qt, a language called Python. These are very bug projects, and it will take time before these run natively. But even then there is the problem that upgrading to newer versions of these dependencies mean that Cura will no longer work on older OS X versions.

Native support for M1 is slated for Qt 6.1. Version 6.0 of that framework requires OS X 10.15 or newer. Cura currently uses Qt 5.10, which supports OS X 10.11 and newer. Updating to a version of Qt that is native to M1 (once that is available) means dropping support for all Macs that still run 10.11 - 10.14. OS X 10.14 is only 2.5 year old.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 2

It is not only M1. My MBP is a year old and Cura stopped working this week for me.  Same issues in regards to not having any Preview. Here is my processor.  2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

To clarify: my response above was about creating an M1 native version, in reaction to the remark that Apple boats that updating applications should be easy.

To keep Cura working with newer versions of OSes and drivers is an ongoing battle.

Edited by ahoeben
    • 4 weeks later...

then ... any estimation of time for the release of an M1 compatible version? (3 months? a half year? God will provide?)

Thank you!

God will provide.

This is the type of thing where as a programmer you can't really be sure how long it will take to fix until you fixed it.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:19 PM, Husar said:

It is not only M1. My MBP is a year old and Cura stopped working this week for me.  Same issues in regards to not having any Preview. Here is my processor.  2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

think you have an diff issue, i have the last of the non-M1 MBP, same spec as yours and it works fine in the latest 'Big Sur' 11.1 release, it does sometimes loose ability to see the sliced preview but closing and re-opening Cura fixes that.

Edited by Link