Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Posted (edited) · My Ultimaker 2 just stopped

My Ultimaker  printer just stopped dead mid-print. All the lights are out. Power supply still plugged in. Blue indicator light on power supply still on. I switched the printer on & off several times....dead as a dodo. What do i do next?....Ideas?
Can someone advise on how to check the power supply output properly for example?

Edited by tojiero
    Posted · My Ultimaker 2 just stopped

Hi @tojiero,

There is several thing can cause this problem, but what "often" fail here is the power supply devices.

Since your external power supply have the outside blue light on, you need to check the 24 VDC to 5 VDC power supply on the main PCB in the bottom of your UM2. PLS. Do not try to measure at the connector plug at the power supply, as there is "open" pins that's not insulated and very easy to short -damaging your (external) primary power supply.

You'll need to remove the metal shield cover that's protecting your main PCB.

Here is a link to a similar issue's story in here:

Have a look here as a start.

Thanks

Torgeir

Posted · My Ultimaker 2 just stopped

I've taken the cover off the underside to expose what I believe is the motherboard. I have found 24v dc coming it at the power connector. I have checked the power switch is also working and delivering. I have 24v dc at TP77 as the picture in 'bez's thread suggests. I haven't found any 5v as suggested but the thread is a bit vague as to where the 5v should be measured at or relative to. Most of the links seem to be dead ends. Also my board is labelled 'rev 2.1.4' not 'rev 2.1.1' , I don't know how much difference there is. There don't appear to be any indicator LEDs on the board at all for example.

Posted (edited) · My Ultimaker 2 just stopped

Hi @tojiero,

Just checked the board version you have (2.1.4) and found only a minor modification over the 2.1.1 main PCB.

Your PCB is modified to remove the "zebra stripes" problem created by the stepper drivers.

There's six LED on this board, one for each heat output (3 each), two (RX & TX) for the USB communication and one for 5 VDC power on.

This latter is diode (LED) D7 and should be green. All of them are the small lo profile types.. Not easy to see unlighted.

I'll think the step down converter (U2 and fly back diode might be faulty) 24 VDC to 5 VDC is the problem, this as you found the 24 VDC present, but no light up of D7.

I'll remember that someone, not to long ago -found a repair shop in London..  This was reported in here.

I do not think there is any problem using the schematic for 2.1.1 version for repairing this card.

But for sure, there might be some other reason for this step down converter to fail, -but normally close to 90% of all electronic failures is caused by the power supplies.

EDIT.

Just forgot to mention that the components are on the other side of the PCB.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Added text.