Ultimaker 3x does not load up

amallory

Posted · Ultimaker 3x does not load up

I have an Ultimaker 3 extended approx. 4 years old.

I was printing yesterday and in the morning it printed fine. When I came back in the evening

I would turn the power on and the Ultimaker logo comes across the screen, the fan turns on

for about 3 sec and then turns off and then nothing. It has been 15 minutes and still nothing,

The logo is shown but the lights do not come on in the printer nor do I get the screen to

check firmware or anything else. Any suggestions?

Posted · Ultimaker 3x does not load up

So the method that is the least work is to buy a new olimex board from fbrc8.com:

https://fbrc8.com/products/olimex-board-um3?_pos=17&_sid=b05a8a086&_ss=r

It's also the most expensive method and not the fastest as you have to wait for shipping.

The fastest and almost as quick method is to "unbrick" it using a micro SD card.  You may already have one in a gopro or cell phone or other device.  Or you can order one cheap on amazon.

If the printer was in developer mode (you have to switch to developer mode which I did in the first week I had the printer and it's been that way since) then you can try to ssh to the printer.  Tricky since you'll have to try to figure out the ip addres e.g. from a router or using a port scanner.  But there's a strong chance (>80%) that it is crashed before it started the ssh daemon.  Anyway if ssh works you can use linux commands to investigate the log file.  The os is "debian jessie".

Likely a file is corrupt and needs replacing anyway.

If it were me I would start with the micro-sd card unbricking method.  Ideally call your reseller for instructions on unbricking.  The file that you need keeps changing and moving around.  I can post one for you if you are desparate.  But that shouldn't be an issue for you - if the reseller won't help, email support@fbrc8.com (usa customers only!) and send them you serial number and ask for the micro-sd restoration procedure.  I think they have a pdf of instructions.

If the unbricking method doesn't work and you don't want to spend the $371 then you can get an olimex-serial-F cable from my store (again, USA only) at thegr5store.com and then contact me for instructions how to connect it and watch the unbricking in progress and see where it gets stuck.  I've helped two people reformat their flash drive (built into the olimex). Unfortunately the unbricking procedure doesn't do this automatically.  I have extensive notes on how to do the reformatting and sometimes it doesn't work because the flash is just too damaged and even the reformat fails.  This procedure takes a few hours typically (lots of steps).  So if you would rather not waste several hours the $371 might be the better option.

• Like 1