Ender 3 V2 Firmware Motherboard and LCD

Posted · Ender 3 V2 Firmware Motherboard and LCD

New to 3D and just purchased an Ender 3 V2 with the stock firmware in the LCD and the latest update (V 1.0.2) on the motherboard. Other than the updated firmware for the motherboard update from Creality is there a better firmware for the motherboard and LCD? Learning that Creality uses Marlin 2.0, but wondering if the Marlin folks have a better update than Creailty that takes advantage of more G code functions.

It depends on the mainboard.  I have an 8 bit board with Marlin 1.1.8 and it doesn't have enough memory to make more Marlin settings available so I can't move to 2.0 even if I wanted to.  You will want your current firmware version handy in case you need to revert to it.

That being said, there is a "Marlin 2.0 bugfix" version available.  I don't know whether you would have to compile it yourself or not.  Neither MarlinFW.org nor their GitHub site support Creality because Creality alters the firmware to suit themselves.  Your current version of 2.0 is a Creality version.  The Marlin version will run on the board, but will it fit in the board?  I dunno.

The only functions that I would like to have are G60 / G61.  Being able to save a location and then return to it would be cool.  But you need memory to incorporate a save location and my board doesn't have any to spare.

Unless there is a specific function you know exists in a different firmware version and you just can't live without that function, don't change the firmware.  That is especially true if the printer is working as it should.

I figured since it's a new machine and yes, it absolutely matters.  I would want to find out about what the board can handle in terms of memory requirements for the firmware.  Creality doesn't like to tell anyone that sort of thing.  You probably have the latest Creality firmware.  There are different versions for 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 boards and with and without BLTouch.  The download page is HERE.

I'll go back to my previous comment though.  Unless there is absolutely some feature you need but that you don't currently have, I'd leave it alone.  There is a different firmware required if you have an LCD screen or a TFT display.  The download site doesn't explain that.  If you load the wrong one you could lose features and be unable to use things like Pause at Height.

Does anyone know how to get to the LCD firmware that is currently on my Ender 3 V2? I assume if I can download the firmware on the LCD I presume I could find a way to make it use the M117 code - or is that something that has to change on the motherboard firmware?

It's a Creality thing.  Good Luck.

I just saw Creality posted a Jan 14 2021 firmware update for V2. How does one know what they changed?

I posted a couple of questions on the MarlinFW site.  I wanted to know about the issues with the TFT screens not responding to M117 or M0.  They threw me out.  I poked around for a few days trying to figure out what was happening with the Creality 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 boards, but everything turned into a dead end.  There was one poster here who said that a firmware change fixed the M117 and M0 problems, but then he disappeared and never explained what firmware version or where he got it.

Do you know what board you have in the printer?  The only info on mine is printed on the mainboard.  If you know the mainboard model number then you should be able to figure out what firmware to flash.

One of my mantras is "Never upgrade an operating system."  But in the case of some Creality printers with TFT screens and I think the 4.2.2 boards, they need a fix.  Good Luck with it.

I don't but I will pop the cover when the print that is running is complete and see what it is. I think its the 4.2.7, but I'm not sure. If they fixed the M117 problem, that would be great.

I have the 4.2.2 board

It looks like you have to use the November 14 builds for the 4.2.2.  There are two listed.  I have no idea which would be appropriate.  If you go over to Reddit (the Ender 3 group) maybe somebody can explain what the difference is between "with adapter board" and "without adapter board".  It might be that one is for the TFT and the other for the LCD?  I have no idea.  The two displays show information differently so you should be able to tell which display you have by checking photos on Reddit.