Exeed build volume error (Ultimaker S5)

mi-control

Posted · Exeed build volume error (Ultimaker S5)

Hi, 

Im new to printing and is about to start my first print job on a new S5 printer. I downloaded a model and open it it CURA. Its a well knows model I guess. Its not big. So when I send it to the printer I get an error reporting that the printjob exeed build volume of the printer. I dont understand why..

Any tip?

first print.jpg

Skjermbilde 2021-01-08 094941.jpg

Hi, are there any hidden planes on this STL or something that might make it larger? What dimensions does Cura tell you this model is? Do you have any settings enabled like a lot of brim that might make it too large? Do you get a similar warning with other models too?

Hi, 

It seems to be related to the XY plane position of the model. The first time I tried I had the origin on the printer at front left side. When I imported the model it was placed in the middle of xy pland in CURA software. The model xyz coordinates was zero. Then it started to print outside glass plate... At printer origin. 

So I thought that I had to have the printer origin at centre. But then this error message show up. 

So some basic questions:

1. Is printer origin the same as model xyz = 0,0,0?  

3. In other words, how is printer xyz origin related to model xyz coordinates?

Regards

Hans

In your screen shot of the printer, you can see that the red/blue/yellow origin icon of the printer is in the center of the build area.  When the benchy is sliced where it is sitting in the image, the gcode will contain negative X values.  But the printer origin is really in the left front corner.  When the gcode comes into the printer with the negative values, it can't get to them because they are off the build plate and so there is an error.

In Cura, click on your printer, then Manage Printers / Machine Settings and in the dialog de-select "Origin at Center".

So some basic questions:

1. Is printer origin the same as model xyz = 0,0,0?  No.  The printer origin should be left front corner.  The model origin is the "center of geometry" of the model.

3. In other words, how is printer xyz origin related to model xyz coordinates?  They aren't.  Cura will bring in a model with the local 0,0,0 at center of geometry and place it on the build plate at the mid point of the build plate (if it can).  The mid point is determined by the size of the build plate you have entered in Cura (in Machine Settings).  You can use the grips to move the model anywhere you want.  Now, for some things (like model placement) Cura will consider the mid point as 0,0,0 but that is a local relative origin.  The real origin, and what determines the gcode numbers, remains at the left front corner.

To make it more confusing, when "Automatically drop models on the build surface" is selected then Cura uses the XY of the model center of geometry, and the intersection of those planes with the lowest "Z" of the model.  Usually, the lowest point is a plane, but it doesn't have to be.

Posted (edited) · Exeed build volume error (Ultimaker S5)

Thank Greg. I get it and it works.   too..

Edited by Narkotine
    • Like 1