Is it possible to leave the very last layer open?

Wallie

Posted · Is it possible to leave the very last layer open?

I've would like to know if it is possible to leave the very last layer open with Cura.

Normally this would make no sense but the object I am printing would be amazing to have no top layer. That way I could fill it up with some epoxy / other hardening product so my top is perfectly flush. Or at least I can finish off my top flat without actually sanding the PLA.

When I set top layer to 0 it actually doesn't print any top layers. What I am trying to figure out is how to disable only the last top layer and not all of them.

Does any one know if this is possible with Cura? Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Is it possible to leave the very last layer open?

So you want the walls to print so you have edges to use as a dam for the plastic?  I think you'll have to go in and modify the gcode.  Cura puts comments into the gcode when it changes "types".  Going through the last layer gcode and deleting everything that is "type:skin" should work.  You could test that on a calibration cube.  Make the cube 2mm tall in Cura and then alter the gcode and delete the "skin" of the top layer.  That wouldn't take but a few minutes to alter and to print.

Your alternative would be to make a cut in the top surface of the model so you end up with a pocket with walls around it.

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Is it possible to leave the very last layer open?

Stupid enough I did not think about simply cutting out that piece in my model.

After printing the piece i simply though i have to get rid of that top layer going straight into settings. Cutting it out in the model will actually be a better solution.

Thanks!