Nozzle Offset Probe Failed

flnielsen

Posted · Nozzle Offset Probe Failed

Hi Community,

My Ultimaker S5 often shows the attached error message when starting a print job.

When restarting a print job, the printer works fine.

How do I prevent this message from appearing?

Best Regards,

Flemming Lassen Nielsen

IMG_20210111_082113.jpg

I'm actually having the same problem since updating to firmware 5.8.2.  In my case, I manually leveled the bed as a first step before calibrating X and Y (shapes were just ever so slight askew).  I printed a small cube to see if this helped any (not that I expected it would).  Before calibrating X and Y, I updated my firmware.  Now I get this same error.  Tried swapping out print cores, but to no avail.

Hi @flnielsen,

This error mean that there is to "much" difference between the two nozzles height when touching the bed, normally this difference is 3 mm and there is a value + or - 0.XX mm, that'll give this error. ( I do not know this limit).

This system is made to avoid the most common problem "all" of us faced sometimes.. Yes good bed leveling and proper bed adhesion.

1) Dirty surface on the bed, this might result in error when the core no2 awaiting the raising "dirty bed". (Distance to hi.)

2) Did you calibrate the Nozzle switch position? The micro switches wear (home position may differ just a little)  -and also the shift mechanism in the head..

3) How much wear does the core1 have, as high hour in use -or use of abrasive filament..

4) Is the front cover sitting properly, no play? The shielding is also an active part of the capacitive sensor, so it can easily fail by using electronics creating strong EMF radiation.. Keep cellphone and other electronics away during aut. level proc.

5) If one of the wires attached to the captive sensor come loose, intermittent connection. The red and withe wires connected to this sensor.

Here is the calibration procedure for the Core switch:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011545039-How-to-calibrate-the-Lift-switch-on-the-Ultimaker-S5

So, as you see, here's lots of mechanical issues that can trigger this error.

Also, later software update might revise limits etc., -so proper calibration might be the key.

(aut -automatic)

(proc- procedure)

Well, good luck.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

Hi Torgeir,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have chosen to calibrate the core switch. I hope that this will help.

I must admit that especially core 1 has printed A LOT of models.

How many working hours should I expect from these cores?

Best Regards,

Flemming Lassen Nielsen

Posted (edited) · Nozzle Offset Probe Failed

Hi Flemming,

How many working hours should I expect from these cores?

This is not easy to answer for sure. I've seen all kind of different "max working life" for those cores..

Worst case, here printing abrasive filament using special cores for this ~1000 hour using ~ (8-10)Kg filaments..   Edit: The above is about third party abrasive nozzles found around.

Ultimaker also have an abrasive core CC red 0.6 mm, -"super wear resistant" ruby nozzle.  

This is the nozzle made with boron carbide tip. I'll think Anders Olsson from Sweeden is behind this design. I've seen some report that this nozzle have been printing 25 Kg of abrasive filament without sign of wear. People have reported "heavily wear" using normal AA core printing with just a small amount of abrasive filament.

Worth to remember, -the print cores is to be considered as consumables.

Best case, using "normal" filaments >(2000-4000) hour depending of temperature and cycling (nozzle).

All this is based on the reports in here, so I'll think this is realistic and make sense.

From a technical point of view, -the core mounted in slot 1 will in general last longer than the one mounted in slot 2..  (For sure, if it always go to this slot 1.)

Because it is not switched up and down, -as core 2 must do in order to work..

So, monochrome printing is always best to print  with core 1/slot 1.

Maybe worth mention here is that each core have it own "hour counter" on the core's PCB/contact plate.

This info can be seen using printers menu, "settings" then to "About this printer".

Info in here is:

Print core Serial number:

Time Hot:

Material amount:

Max. Temperature:

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Added info and spelling.

Thanks.

Glad I could help you.

Torgeir

Hi Torgeir,

Thanks for the tip. My cores have worked for 61 and 56 days (1464 and 1344 hours).

If the nozzle switch calibration doesn't seem to fix the problem, I think that it's time to exchange the nozzles.

Best Regards,

Flemming.

Posted (edited) · Nozzle Offset Probe Failed

Hi Flemming,

Yes, a worn (out) nozzle should detect too little difference between the two nozzles, but to be honest I've never seen any info about this issue herein. But in theory this fall within "nozzle offset"  error.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Text error.

Hi all,

I have investigated further on my issue, and it seems that the build plate can't move easily all the way.

I was watching the nozzle offset check, and I heard that there was a squeaking, as the nozzle offset check failed.

I have recorded a short video of the build plate going from bottom position to top position, and it can easily be heard that something is squeaking at the top and bottom position. Please see attached file.

I have ensured that all moving parts have been lubricated, due to recommended maintenance plans.

Best Regards,

Flemming Lassen Nielsen.

Squeak.zip

Hi @flnielsen,

This is strange, sounds like this happen during deceleration from "high" speed when "breaking" to stop.

Maybe this is a sign of too low current for acceleration/deceleration of the Z-stepper motor.

Actually, this might very well be the issue for the "nozzle height difference error", as the stepper cannot stop at the exact point from time to time..  One may think this is a mechanical issue, but rarely this is the case -those steppers are very solid made.

Have this sound been there all since new? Latest update S5 firmware now is 5.8.2 I'll think.

A printer reset may sometime fix strange issues, think X/Y cal. will stay and both cores info as well..

Well, I'll think this is an issue for your dealer to solve, unless there is another known quick fix for this issue.

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Hi Torgeir,

I have never noticed the sound until now. The 3D Printer is placed away from my office, and every print job is initiated remotely. This means that I'm not close to the Printer as it starts the print.

For me, it sounds more like a mechanical squeezing, like if some of the rails aren't straight.

During the latest nozzle offset check failure, the print bed seem to be unable to reach the desired position, rather than a stall, due to the stepper motor being unable to slow down timely.

I think that you are right, that the issue is a kind of mechanical obstacle.

I might need to contact the vendor, to discuss a repair.

Thank you for helping on the issue.

Best Regards,

Flemming Lassen Nielsen

Hello,

I have the same problem with the S5 “ultimaker s5 difference between height of both print cores exceeds realistic value” , when I do the manual bed calibration the right nozzle sometimes does not touch the bed, it returns 3-4 mm above the bed there is no problem with the left nozzle,  after 3 times the right nozzle will go lower and then there is no problem. Also calibrated the switch that will lower the head.

Best regards,

Günther

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that the issue with my S5 is, that the Z movement meets excessive friction.

This morning I lubricated the two rear Z rails thoroughly, and afterwards the nozzle offset probe succeeded.

I still need to try out this solution more than once, but so far it seems to work.

Best Regards,

Flemming Lassen Nielsen

I am having the same problem intermittently. The (2) nozzle will stop around 3mm before touching the glass plate. I have tried calibration of the switch, swapping nozzles, have checked the wires, nozzles run only pla so no abrasive materials and the bed is clean and level and lubricated. After several restarts and nozzle swaps it will eventually run. During the last episode it finished a print, I swapped material and then had the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Randy