Massivly overweight prints

GAZZER

Posted (edited) · Massivly overweight prints

Hi Greg,

Just a minor thing, "horizontal hole expansion" (*) to be set to "0", think it was 1.1 or around..

But here's your project file a little modified..

(*) HHExp0

I'll think it's 15 gram.

Cheers

Torgeir

And the one I sliced for the S3..  14 gram.

Wing_tip_Foil.thumb.jpg.34c5b393e5fbd3a3c4288bc990e9584a.jpg

CE3PRO_19gr_wing6_HH_Exp_To_0.3mf

Edited by Torgeir
Added.

Posted · Massivly overweight prints

Thanks guys.

Greg, been talking to a buddy who was in 3d industry for a living, he came up with something which made sense.

He reckons it's something to do with scaling. Now I haven't scaled anything so I checked my overweight file in Cura and also the dimensions of the print. The dimensions look about the same as the original 20g file although Cura still says it's 30gm. 

So I'm printing a 30g one and am going to do a physical comparison with my existing part. Well I was now I've hit a skipping feeder problem I've got to sort, why are we in this hobby I wonder lol.

I put my settings into your profile and watched to see if anything changed and it went up to 30 gm on the wall line count which is 1. The wall thickness changed to .84 (my layer width is 0.42) 

Now, I've always had 0.84 in my slicer because Cura wouldn't let me change it, says it's calculated but it was until recently printing ok at that!

In your file it was 0.4 which makes sense and  produced 20gm as you know.

So I have to find a way of somehow changing that in my profile keeping my old settings. How you got it to 0.4 I have no idea.

I've messed up your profile but I can simply reload that again.

Make any sense?

Where are you in the States?

Hi

I just experimented a little and found that Cura behaves real strange here..

When I increased the "Travel Avoid distance" to 10 mm, -your model become 19 gram and print time 3 hour and 7 min!..

I've also decreased the Z height to -.05 mm., then the skirt become all around the foil.

Noticed a little opening at the wing tip, that was sealed by enabling "adaptive layer" under experimental..

Here's the project file, i might have changed a few other thing so just for experimenting.. :

Have fun.

Torgeir

CCR10S_Spitfire_mkIX_L_wing6(1).3mf

Line width x wall line count = wall thickness.  If you change the line width then change the wall line count then wall thickness will be grayed out because it was calculated.  Wall line count must be a whole number.

It is not possible to mess up one of my profiles.  They come that way.

Detroit and now retired and in Venice, FL.

Foul...Foul.  Torgeir you cheated.  The line width rule was violated.  You thought nobody would notice didn't you?  Ha.  I hereby declare myself the winner.

Since we're talking airplane parts and since it took two days and four of us to figure it out, I think we should get the government (I don't care whose) to give us vast amounts of money for further development.  We'll call it an F-35 Sopwith Inductatron.  With a flashy name that nobody understands the potential market could be huge.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

Greg, I just love your sense of humour, almost English, very rare for an American!

I spent a bit of time in FL stayed at Boca Ratone, racing at W Palm Beach.

Torgeir, thanks for your input too, much appreciated.

I'm a bit thick so still got to work it out, think I've got it though.

Still doesn't explain why my prints have been ok up to a couple of days ago.

Hey Ho.

Glad I found you guys!

Oh.. Ho Ha Ha Ha..  

👍...

Agree, -he cannot be an American..  😁

Torgeir

Still in trouble, when I open either 3mf file it is not loading the settings so I'm still getting 30gm.

Also your file Greg, when I first opened it I got 0.4 as a wall thickness because it loaded your profile, this is the key to 20gm I think.

I need to get that back to 0.4 but it's greyed out and I can't find a way to alter it, sorry if I'm a bit thick, am I right in saying a 3mf file should contain an stl and a profile?

Yes.  It's the point of the 3mf format to provide another person with the Whole Enchilada.

I went back to Gazzer's original 3mf file.

With "Retraction Extra Prime Amount" set to 1.3 the model is 30gr.  Change it to 0, and the model is 19gr.

You might need it to print, but apparently Cura is adding the amount of plastic to the weight of the model when the reality is that the extra prime is compensating for portions of an extrusion that your printer would be running dry on.  Their should be no weight gain in your situation.

Edited by GregValiant

Morning, keep forgetting you're 5 hours behind me lol.

If I remove that prime it makes no difference in weight, really odd.

I just started a brand new profile to get my 0.4 wall back and got 15g! and also discovered that if I move EXPERIMENTAL slicing tolerance to Exclusive I jump from 15g to 30! 3dlabprint say must use Excusive, I tried to remove that and lost the inner structure.

When I first used your 3mf file it did load your profile at 0.4 wall but now I cant get it to reload that.

All I'm left with is an stl and build plate that has Ender3 written all over it lol.

It's driving me bloody mad mate.

Is it possible to send me the stl on it's own so I can play with that on my original good profile?

I damn well will get to the bottom of this somehow.

I look at it like I'm 19 hrs ahead.  I hate being in somebodies rearview.

I open your original 3mf file

Change all Line Widths to .40

Click on the Fx button next to the Wall Line Count number.  It changes to "2" but "Wall Thickness" becomes accessible.

Click on Wall Thickness and change it to .40 and now Wall Line Count should be "1".

Change Extra Prime Amount to 0.

Slice.

And that should be it.  19gr.

Slicing tolerance should be "Middle".  That setting can produce some odd results when it's either Inclusive or Exclusive.

You can download your original STL file from your post on page 1 of this thread.  That way we save the postage and you know it's the one we started on.

Hi there,

Local time here is: 16:13 right now.

Don't you use a flat area for gluing in between the sections?

With one bottom layer, the weight stayed 19 gram, if I made 2 layer, it become 20 gram..

Torgeir, no bottom layer, only used when need 4 layers for control horn on some prints.

Most parts have small location tabs for alignment and are simply ca glued with accelorator. Have a look at this, it's quite interesting

3DLabPrint-SpitfireIX_userguide-2.pdf

p.s. Someone took the centre wing pieces and modified them for a 19mm carbon tube mainspar, I have used them.

32 minutes ago, GAZZER said:

Torgeir, no bottom layer, only used when need 4 layers for control horn on some prints.

Most parts have small location tabs for alignment and are simply ca glued with accelorator. Have a look at this, it's quite interesting

3DLabPrint-SpitfireIX_userguide-2.pdf 1.36 MB · 0 downloads

Great info..

Rate of climb: 5500 feet/min., this is amazing

Sure, I've to look a bit closer to this thing..

Cheers

Torgeir

34 minutes ago, GAZZER said:

p.s. Someone took the centre wing pieces and modified them for a 19mm carbon tube mainspar, I have used them.

With this performance, I'm sure there was some need for it..  🤔

Torgeir

Right Greg, seeing as I'm now lagging behind you I have some news.

Firstly we have a problem, sorry. I have a problem. Following your instructions to the letter my wall thickness does NOT become accessible, having said that I have just managed a 20gm print. I changed maximum retract count from 100 to Zero and dropped from 30 to 20gm!

I seem to have a mixed profile now with some of my settings and some of yours! I never had max retract count in my profile.

I can't cut my extra prime amount back as I was suffering from big under exrusion after my z seam so I left it on. Can't use "Middle" lose the inside structure and 3d labprint say must be Exclusive and now I know why!

My bad on asking for stl when I already have it, sorry my head is not working correctly.

So, looks like we have solved the weight issue somewhere along the line. The retract count I mentioned earlier was not on my original good profile.

Two pics attached were printed at 0.8 wall thickness (as I couldn't alter it) and, as in the past the print was not overweight.

On this print just to make things even more complicated show my u/extrusion is back, worse than ever even with using 1.3 prime! 

BUT IT ONLY WEIGHS 20 GRAMS!!!!!!! Hooray.

When you get rid of Trump send him over here, I could do with a good laugh. 

IMG_20210114_164332.jpg

IMG_20210114_164539.jpg