any way to remove the supports from a vertical inner hole? there is no purpose to be generated a support there

Posted · any way to remove the supports from a vertical inner hole? there is no purpose to be generated a support there

Do you know how can I get rid of this support structure from the inner holes? Didn’t been removed with support blockers and has no purpose to be there. Support material is ultimaker breakaway and dual extrusion, Cura 4.8. Thank you!

125381690_2479600022339659_3929840682488457951_n.jpg

125325398_2479600032339658_4361059129791619801_n.jpg

Capture333.PNG

Posted · any way to remove the supports from a vertical inner hole? there is no purpose to be generated a support there

HI, thank you for your feedback! please see attached the file. 

actually I have to print this file in ABS, 0.25 mm nozzle, to the best resolution I am able, to be within 2% deviation from STL file and solid infill. 

I was thinking to use Ultimaker breakaway material as support, but I cannot block the supports generated inside the part legs. 

would be great to have some suggestions from you related to this project. 

kind regards, 

Marius 

UMS5_part3_model_r_0 (1) (1).3mf

OK, here are a few files to see if everything is ok for you. Keep in mind that I have not upgraded beyond Cura 4.4. So if there is a bug in the version you are using, I have supplied additional files for you. Here is the sliced image from my system. No support in the holes. Since you have it set for the S5 I just hit slice. I made no changes to your file in anyway. The only difference is the version of Cura.

ScreenCap.thumb.jpg.f4ee466953071a2884855fba681e728a.jpg

1st is the .3mf file from my system. Now, I am not sure this will help since the file may not slice the same way on a newer version.

1333205824_UMS5_part3_model_r_0(1)(1)_Cura4-4.3mf

Now, just in case that will not slice like I saw it on my system, here is a .UFP file for you:

UMS5_1333205824_UMS5_part3_model_r_0(1)(1).ufp 

I left the way it puts the UMS5 on front to much more easily differentiate by name (keep your files from being overwritten).

And, just in case that fails, here is the GCode file:

UMS5_1333205824_UMS5_part3_model_r_0(1)(1).gcode

Now, the reason I have not upgraded as I just recently got back online after almost a year of being offline. And I am seeing some reports of bugs (of which you seem to have one found here in your initial post). So, I am sticking with what I know for now.

Hope this helps 🙂

Posted (edited) · any way to remove the supports from a vertical inner hole? there is no purpose to be generated a support there

I get the same issue on Cura 4.8. Furtermore there is support on the side of the leg that is not really needed.

Hope this helps the developers to fix it.

image.thumb.png.4bdb06d0ce49916bb7ba2a8ca96605ac.png

Edited by emare
    • Like 1

Yep, that is why I sliced the files for the OP instead of making the OP search for an old version and made clear that the difference in versions needs to be evaluated.

I hope this does go into the Cura data for fixes.

Posted (edited) · any way to remove the supports from a vertical inner hole? there is no purpose to be generated a support there

That support is there to hold up the flat roof of the counterbore.  Since it comes up from the build plate "Touching Buildplate" won't turn it off.  I did get a support blocker to work.  It has to cover the bottom of the bolt hole (which is a roof in the inverted print orientation).  The reason it is so skinny is the X/Y distance is 1.0.  Setting the X/Y distance to 0.4 you can see that it is supporting the roof.  In the image below I have a support blocker on the left rear leg, and X/Y distance is .4, and I changed the support type to Concentric so you could see it better. (Cura 4.8).

This is with Normal supports.  Tree supports are similar.  I am unable to duplicate the unnecessary supports that @emare shows.  I assume it is also a setting...but then I lost interest.

Supt.thumb.png.6fc188788b544d194435c6fd2ef5b9c1.png

Edited by GregValiant

If you take a look, your slice looks different than his slice. What difference did you make other than turning it upside down?

Oh, and the upper left hand side does not seem to have any support in the hole there as it does in the other three holes.

Edited by kmanstudios

I have to work in compatibility mode as this old laptop doesn't support OpenGL 4.1.

When I open the 3mf file, Support is not enabled.  Enabling support, and leaving the part with the legs down, I don't get that center post.  There is nothing above in that orientation and it isn't required.  I looked at emare's image and rotated the part 180 (a lot less wasted material that way).  With the legs in the air, that inside support is required for the roof of the counterbore.

Here it is as the 3mf file shows.  You can see to the bottom of the front hole and no support was generated.  Given that in mariuscapitanu's original 3mf file opens with Supports off, maybe non of his settings were included and I ended up using whatever was set in my install.

Supt2.thumb.png.a6143aabeecdd8eb1522afb32b673452.png

Greg_Legs UP_part3_model_r_0(1)(1).3mf Greg_Legs down_part3_model_r_0(1)(1).3mf

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarity ♥️