Ultimaker 2 problematic??

ifti

Posted · Ultimaker 2 problematic??

Has anyone had a seamless experience with the Ultimaker 2??

I understand this is a forum where people come for advice on issues etc, but I'm just wondering if this really is a printer where one can get straight into printing etc with minimal fuss??

Which settings should one choose most of the time for the best quality ABS prints - low speed with high temp??

Yes.

I've had the normal learning curve, but I can now print a full size object in PLA without warping or using glue sticks or anything else. I've not tried ABS yet. I think most people who have UM2's are just quietly printing away.

My UM2 at present is proving somewhat problematic. I have not achieved a useful print for 2 weeks now. At first the print head temp sensor was reading 60c too high. A little prodding and poking seems to have cured this for now but I am still unable to print. My second or third layers are missing bits of infill it seems to pump (hard) a thick slow line of infill in the middle of the chosen area then move on to the next layer. I thought I would go back to my first print to see how that went only to find that massive random underextrusion seems to randomly occur and the Z height also drops by about .5mm or more resulting in failed prints. unfortunately i cant find the SD card containing the original print so don't know if its slicing issues or printer issues.

Not seeing anything obviously wrong with it, but I'll try printing it this evening.

Thanks if it works enjoy the dubplo brio mix its not mine but my boys have found it very useful, when it prints!

A massive thanks to illuminarti for conducting a test print. I looked for damaged wires from the controller to main board but found nothing so gave it another print and got the same disastrous result. I copied the file from one SD card to another and all seems to be well so a word of warning, Your Ultimaker may have trouble reading from certain SD cards. looks like another thing needs adding to the trouble shooting list unless i missed it all ready.Once again thanks illuminarti for your troubles especially over the festive period. Hope you find a use for it.

Do you still have the original sd card, the one that came with your printer. Does that one cause problems?

Which make/size causes problems, It would be interesting to know which ones to avoid.

Probably only 1 person in 30 who received a UM2 has an account on these forums so this is not a very accurate survey. I didn't know about these forums until after I had printed a few things with my UM Original.

To answer your question:

I already had 3d printing experience so it was pretty quick. I had two fans hooked up backwards (side fan always on instead of rear fan. rear fan comes on with side fan). I probably could have printed with it like that without any problems forever. But I expected this problem because I was reading the forums and I had it fixed in 1 minute - so simple - just unplug the fan and plug it into the other connector.

That was it - other than that great prints starting with the first attempt.

Hi lifti, my personal view is that this technology, whether it be Ultimaker or not, is not plug and play. You will get an enormous amount of help if you put in the time to go through the posts on this forum but you also need to put effort and time into printing yourself, getting your settings right and learning how to change your setup to cope with different geometries. Your experience will build as will your success rate. And if you can afford it, help yourself by buying the very best filaments which will help you achieve consistency.

I have to agree with the last comment really. There are probably a hundred different manufacturers out there now, maybe more. There's no substitute for experience when it comes to getting successful prints. Not just experience of printing, but experience of designing too. It's possible to have a very finely tuned printer and have all the feeds and speeds worked out for the material you're using, but if the part isn't designed well or setup up properly for printing, you'll get a poor result, or a ball of spaghetti. However there are at least 2 compelling reasons to buy an Ultimaker. Firstly I believe Ultimaker is a very ethical and customer focused company who are passionate about what they are doing. If you have a problem, they will sort it out for you. Secondly there is a large (and rapidly growing) technical user community that you can tap into. In my brief exposure to this (I've used an Afinia for 12 months but I'm new to Ultimaker) I have benefitted hugely from their expertise. Normally within 30 mins, sometimes less, you'll have the answer you need from someone who's already done a dozen times what you're trying to do. They are incredibly patient and generously give up their time to help out where they can. Without that kind of support it really isn't worth investing in any 3D printing technology.

Do you still have the original sd card, the one that came with your printer. Does that one cause problems?

Which make/size causes problems, It would be interesting to know which ones to avoid.

The card was not the one that came with the printer, thats probably in a toy box somewhere. The card is an old Lexar 1GB.