Insulating the heated block

Posted · Insulating the heated block

I have been helping out a neighbor with his rep 2 he uses in his classroom. It being in a classroom means it get's beaten up/thoroughly used. Either way one of the things I'm replacing is a strip of ceramic insulation surrounding it's heated aluminum block and that got me thinking, why is it needed in the first place.

Well I now happen to be in possession of some extra ceramic insulation and was thinking about strapping some around my heated block on the ultimaker to see if it would help or hamper my printing but before I went ahead I wanted to hear what you guys think about it.

I'm thinking it could help because of:

1. prevents inadvertent cooling of the heater block from air currents cause by the fan.

2. makes the actual heating more efficient as there is less loss of heat. This could possibly reduce the temperature gradient that runs up the connecting tube from the heater block.

Reasons why this could adversely effect printing:

1. While it is insulation, it can still transfer heat. If there isn't enough space between the heater block and the aluminum mounting plate it could actually transfer more heat to areas of the hot end that shouldn't be hot.

Either way I'm going to document it's effects with a couple of test prints of the ultimaker robot in the next couple of days to see if there is any difference.

Posted · Insulating the heated block

Other people have insulated the heater block and/or tip and they all seemed happy with the result. I wouldn't do anything though that makes it more difficult to change the nozzle. Right now I can unscrew it (when hot of course) and clean it out easily

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• Introducing Universal Cura Projects in the UltiMaker Cura 5.7 beta
        Strap in for the first Cura release of 2024! This 5.7 beta release brings new material profiles as well as cloud printing for Method series printers, and introduces a powerful new way of sharing print settings using printer-agnostic project files! Also, if you want to download the cute dinosaur card holder featured below, it was specially designed for this release and can be found on Thingiverse! 
        • 10 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies