line direction of bridge first layer

wimverbe

Posted (edited) · line direction of bridge first layer

Is it possible to set the line direction of the first layer of a bridge? I have a void of 2 by 14 cm which needs to be bridged, but I cannot use supports since it is inside a box with holes. It now is sliced with the first layer lines over the void in the longest direction, and starting in the middle of the void. the first version of the model I printed was good, the direction of the bridge layer was 45 degrees there, but the model changed and I can't reproduce it.

I tried with setting top/bottom line directions, adjusting object rotation, layer thickness, initial layer thickness, adjusting the height of the ceiling in the model itself, nothing helps. 

Cura V 4.8.0

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 13.09.32.jpg

Edited by wimverbe

• 3 months later...
    Posted · line direction of bridge first layer

I came here to ask this question too! I have a 6cm x 10cm void to bridge (I know that’s big, but the attached photos are just test prints for a larger design, so I can't print it flipped over 180).

The only thing getting in my way is not being able to change the direction of the initial bridge layer. Nothing will force them to stop laying diagonal first layer, and my printed version of this test print shows that my settings can work with all but the longest of diagonal stretches. I just need to be able to tell it the first layer needs to be 90 degrees.00F05644-37BA-4783-B11B-38C99CB60E84.thumb.png.beee2e4be3b4a2e17c5479613c8d4167.png

5983B8EA-3748-425B-B184-895B171E501D.jpeg

The only way to change the bridging direction is rotate your model on the build plate.

See here:

7505223_Screenshot(162).thumb.png.b4d02b8af998e22e846d43c76889d423.png

After rotation:

1688266107_Screenshot(163).thumb.png.a7da9ea64101a36d381744076fe2af23.png

• 3 months later...
    Posted (edited) · line direction of bridge first layer

@LordMM Instead of rotating the whole model you could change Top/Bottom Line Directions to [0, 90] (switch/change the numbers as needed).

Edited by Nosybottle
    • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, Nosybottle said:

@LordMM Instead of rotating the whole model you could change Top/Bottom Line Directions to [0, 90] (switch/change the numbers as needed).

Elegant! Thanks.

It's a shame this isn't being fixed, times have changed, my main printer a Bambu P1S is much faster than my old Enders hence the new bridge feature would be very useful. I need to slow the bridges down because a speed of 150 or more causes the line ends to not connect and peel upwards. This then affects the next layer and causes issues like bumps. But from all my testing and playing with settings as discussed above and indeed re-designing my part with different internal supports, the bridge always finds away to go the worst direction, the longest direction. It sounds like a simple fix, just 90 degree whatever Cura is doing right now. Or just like the top surface skin line direction setting, create a new setting like the first bridge layer line direction.

6 hours ago, jon557 said:

It sounds like a simple fix

Programming rule #7: A "simple fix" is never simple.

Cura's slicing engine is very complex internally so even adding what seems like a little thing without breaking anything else in the process can be a lot harder than it sounds.