Cura display problem

honda.s

Posted · Cura display problem

Hi.

I am new to 3D printing and 3D design, so I started with Blender and Cura. I draw a simple model in Blender and checked with the 3D tool there. However, I cannot load it into Cura. I pressed load button, choose the file, and nothing happens. Could someone please help.

here are the .blend and the .stl files:

https://www.mediafire.com/?8dubiv3pzgzd80t'>https://www.mediafire.com/?8dubiv3pzgzd80t'>https://www.mediafire.com/?8dubiv3pzgzd80t'>https://www.mediafire.com/?8dubiv3pzgzd80t

https://www.mediafire.com/?8dubiv3pzgzd80t

The STL file loads ok into Netfabb and/or Meshlab - but it's scaled to be absolutely tiny. Netfabb shows the entire thing as being just 0.02mm from top to bottom. Maybe Cura is jsut deciding that it's too physically small to bother loading.

Try and scale the output first from blender to a size that's visible on the platform.

I tried to scale it 100 times in Blender and Cura can load it now, so thank you very much.

However, I do not understand why it is so small in Cura. In Blender, its dimension is 6mx6mx6m, and its side vertex is at 2m,2m,0m. Is there any tricky setting in Blender that make this happen?

STL files don't have a concept of dimensional units. Just pure numerical coordinates. By convention for most 3d printing programs, the numbers correspond to mm. I don't know anything about blender, but you probably need to tell it what scale to convert the STL files to, when saving them.

I tried to scale it 100 times in Blender and Cura can load it now, so thank you very much.

However, I do not understand why it is so small in Cura. In Blender, its dimension is 6mx6mx6m, and its side vertex is at 2m,2m,0m. Is there any tricky setting in Blender that make this happen?

Make sure you have set the units in Blender to 'metric' instead of 'none'. If it's set to 'none', Blender will use so-called Blender units. I think, one Blender unit is something very tiny like 0.1mm or even less. If you use Blender usually for creating 3D models then it's recommended to change this setting permanently by saving it in the startup-file.

@Dim3nsioneer: yes I did set it to metric. that why I can get the dimension in meter as I said above.

Cura used to scale up very small objects on its own, but in 13.12 this behaviour is broken. I just make a fix for the next version as this has hit more people.

There is a simple solution for this problem (when you are using Metric units in Blender).

Just set the 'Scale' of the units to 0.001