Cura is getting worse and worse

Hops

Posted · Cura is getting worse and worse

So I've been holding off writing this for 2 months or so as time is scarce these days but i cant take it anymore. Maybe someone where can help.

Mac Version Cura 4.8.0

Mac OS 11.1

Router EPC3940L

Problems:

1. Cura / Ultimaker S5 do not stay connected to each other and cannot print over wifi network. No, i cant use a LAN cable.
  • Reproduction - After turning on the UM5 it connects to the newwork fine. router shows its mac and IP addresses are active and connected. Cura will find the printer and be able to print via network. After printing for an undetermined amount of time checking cura again to put another print in que you can find that cura does not see the UM5 anymore. The router shows that UM5 is connect and active as before.
  • What Ive Done - I have reported this problem to UM Support. sent logs and the answer i got was to use Digital Factory. Digital factory has the same problems but worse. Digital factory will be connected on first start of the UM5 and Cura but disconnect after a seemingly random amount of time. Often the printer is lost from the digital factory entirly and i have to re add it as if it was never there.
  • Work around - restart the printers wifi connection or the computer running cura to be able to upload one more print. 

2. Objects in Cura become unselectable and unable to be manipulated.

• Reproduction - Slice a model in cura, sent to print and then after printing confirmation close the laptop lid or put the computer to sleep. wait 10 min. wake the computer back up and try to move the models, they will not be able to be clicked at all.
  • Work around - restart cura and try again.

3. Not a problem that can be fixed via software but definitely something i was not expecting...... How is a premium printer sold these days still not using silent stepper drivers? This thing is LOUD

I would echo the rest of the those with similar problems that ive read on here. Why does this premium printer have any issues at all with wifi? These are the SAME type of issues i had with my UM3E and i had believed " certainly these are solved with their new flagship printer" turns out i was wrong.

Please please get this fixed, i would like to be able to keep this printer and justify being able replace it with another ultimaker when the time comes.

Thanks

Number two has been reported to us via Github alread (which is the prefered way to report Cura issues).

As for number one, there are just too many things that could cause this, so i can't really say what the issue is for you. I do know that a number of connection issues have been fixed for the upcoming FW release.

Posted (edited) · Cura is getting worse and worse
    On 1/21/2021 at 1:00 PM, nallath said:

Number two has been reported to us via Github alread (which is the prefered way to report Cura issues).

As for number one, there are just too many things that could cause this, so i can't really say what the issue is for you. I do know that a number of connection issues have been fixed for the upcoming FW release.

Glad to hear the 2nd one is known and being looked into.

I hope this connection issue is fixed in the next release, but im a little sceptical. Im not sure if its a hardware or software limitation but its been around since ive had ultimaker products (about 5 years) across 2 machines, nor am i the first, second or third person to report it, so it seems hardware related and something that wasent addressed in the making of the S5. I understand that there can be several things that can cause issues with wifi but certainly not so many that they can not have been fixed by now.

Edited by Hops

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I agree with topic starter. My machine always looses WiFi. I mean cloud is not working properly. I have UM3 on latest firmware, cura 4.8, macOS Big Sur. 

Cura can see the printer, but sending print job is doing nothing. 
    it was better before latest firmware update, I was able to print via WiFi. Now I have only cloud button and it often doesn’t work. 
    As I see, it’s not only my machine. 
    what can we do? (Expect switching to Prusa, they will have cloud soon or already have)

3 hours ago, vladmazur said:

Hi!

I agree with topic starter. My machine always looses WiFi. I mean cloud is not working properly. I have UM3 on latest firmware, cura 4.8, macOS Big Sur. 

Cura can see the printer, but sending print job is doing nothing. 
    it was better before latest firmware update, I was able to print via WiFi. Now I have only cloud button and it often doesn’t work. 
    As I see, it’s not only my machine. 
    what can we do? (Expect switching to Prusa, they will have cloud soon or already have)

The same thing that you can do for any issue. Post the issue on github and provide us with the details that the template requests.

For any networking/cloud related issues, please check the sub forums about Digital Factory as well. There have been several posts there with in-depth analyses and (temporary) fixes. In short, network issues are always difficult to debug because it could be a problem with the hardware, embedded software, the specific network setup (i.e. a customer had issues with DNS because in their network setup Microsoft Active Directory deviated from DNS caching standards that our printer software assumes are in place, as they should be). Usually it comes down to sending us the printer debug logs so we can have a look what's going on in your specific case, and hopefully help you further. All I know is that it's not a general issue as we have many users and printers online every day.

Okay.

few restarts helped me last time. Of this happens next time I’ll post logs on GitHub