Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)

SandervG

Posted · Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)
1 hour ago, Starflashbully said:

Am I right, that I can disable the Firewall in order to have the full local network functions?

Yes, but you don't need to disable it, it is not enabled by default. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starflashbully said:

Hi together 🙂

Am I right, that I can disable the Firewall in order to have the full local network functions?

Thanks a lot 🙂

Yes, and the firewall is not enabled by default.

I'm really glad I held off when the upgrade notice appeared on the front panel.  I thought of this true-ism:

First rule of upgrades: Don't do it!

Second rule of upgrades: Don't do it just yet.

Even though I would like to have the static IP function, I'll wait until the 'stable' is truly stable later this year.

Posted (edited) · Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)

Hotfix 6.1.1 is on the way for the issue we've identified, pending tests and approval.
    In some rare cases corrupted material profile files where giving problems and a small change in python's xml.etree.ElementTree library meant this caused the application not to start up.

As a workaround you can turn off Cura and "reset all printer settings" in the settings menu before upgrading, that will allow you to install the 6.1.0 without the current problem.

In the mean time if you have already gotten stuck at the logo screen, please open a support ticket as @SandervG said!
    Use the 6.1.0 recovery image not a 5.x or older one! as mentioned a lot before 6.x can't be downgraded, this can brick your printer in a not user recoverable way.

Edited by robinmdh
    • Like 3

On 1/26/2021 at 7:22 PM, Navin2020 said:

I need assistance too..I contacted my distributer here in the UK and they are asking me to pay to send my printer to them to flash via post for a problem caused by early release of Ultimaker firmware. I do not understand why i should burden the cost as it is not my fault (i did not cause this crash) so i hope there is a solution your link can provide me without having to send my printer? I need it operational for obvious reasons

Hi Navin, thank you for your message. I've been in touch with our product experts and as I understand it you may have been in touch with our reseller previously to discuss some other issues or concerns regarding your Ultimaker S5. If you only want to have your firmware recovered, they should be able to help you remotely and you should be able to receive those instructions. If you want them to look at your machine for other issues you may be facing, you'll have to ship it and since your machine is not covered by warranty there will be shipping costs. So it is kind of up to you what you want them to do. Hope this helps! 

• SandervG changed the title to Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)

the memory card what format is needed. I bought a 400gb card and cannot format it..lol

Suggestions please. The card does not seem to be read?

This is not working

Edited by Navin2020

I can't believe you release a firmware with no rollback and still let the printer prompt for an upgrade with no warning about the lack of rollback. 

This firmware is absolute garbage and I am stuck with it.

IM assuming the card needs to be in FAT32?

I hope its a card not reading issue stopping it from recovering..need a asistance plz

3 hours ago, JeremyMTB said:

I can't believe you release a firmware with no rollback and still let the printer prompt for an upgrade with no warning about the lack of rollback. 

what problems are u facing? At least your machine is operational, mines is dead!

OK..this is what i have done..

Got a 64Gb SD micro card, formated the card to FAT32 added the file the um-restore-6.1.0.img to it. The printer is non responsive. It is like completely non responsive. Please help me

This update and completely bricked my printer 😞

Edited by Navin2020
    added info

2 hours ago, Navin2020 said:

what problems are u facing? At least your machine is operational, mines is dead!

OK..this is what i have done..

Got a 64Gb SD micro card, formated the card to FAT32 added the file the um-restore-6.1.0.img to it. The printer is non responsive. It is like completely non responsive. Please help me

This update and completely bricked my printer 😞

I assume you got a PDF with instructions from your reseller to do the firmware recovery? Did you follow the step where you use a separate program to write the firmware file to the memory card to make it bootable? You can't simply copy the file to the card, that will not work.

I have tried to follow the instruction But they assume some knowledge i guess which i dont have it is missing. I have a SD micro memory card. I dont know which format is needed (this is not mentioned) I have assumed it is FAT32. I have tried to format to FAT32 but when i use the disk writing manger, immediately after writing, the memory card prompts my to format it ( what do I need to do here?). There is nothing in the manual about making the image bootable or how to do this..hence why i need help!

Can someone please lay out clear step by step instructions

Edited by Navin2020
    added info

Don't format the SD card (it doesn't hurt) as that will be overwritten anyway.

The instructions should be very detailed.  Here is a posting with some information but you should contact your reseller to get the official pdf with the official instructions.  Anyway @Navin2020 - the instructions are different depending what kind of operating system you are using so at least let us know that:

The above instructions are for a UM3 but the instructions for creating the uSD card are the same.  You can also google this stuff - it's the same instructions for making a uSD to update a beaglebone black or a raspberry pi or an olimex board so you can google one of those: "making bootable uSD for raspberry pi using windows" (or using mac or using linux, etc).

16 hours ago, gr5 said:

Don't format the SD card (it doesn't hurt) as that will be overwritten anyway.

The instructions should be very detailed.  Here is a posting with some information but you should contact your reseller to get the official pdf with the official instructions.  Anyway @Navin2020 - the instructions are different depending what kind of operating system you are using so at least let us know that:

The above instructions are for a UM3 but the instructions for creating the uSD card are the same.  You can also google this stuff - it's the same instructions for making a uSD to update a beaglebone black or a raspberry pi or an olimex board so you can google one of those: "making bootable uSD for raspberry pi using windows" (or using mac or using linux, etc).

It worked im up and back in business..Thanks everyone

I would just like to add the process is very simply u simply need a micro SD card place it in the reader, download the correct firmware and prepare your SD card for flashing. This requires you to download win32diskmanger and just select your file, select the correct drive to write too. And press write. Windows will prompt you to format drive AFTERWARDS. YOU JUST IGNORE THIS. Take flashed card and place in S5, where it meant to go

The important thing is, the card itself is formatted correctly for you by the win32diskmanager for use or recognition in the S5 which is different to that of the pc. So the pc will not recognise the file system and ask you to format regardless

Edited by Navin2020
    added info
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

So far i started the first print and i did not get a nozzle offset error, this is a huge positive. Plus i think the print quality has actually improved. I am impressed 🙂 and happy

EDIT:- Started second print, there was a nozzle difference error but the update is definately better than the previous

Edited by Navin2020
    added info
    • Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, JeremyMTB said:

Hello, we've thoroughly communicated that you can't roll back to an older version after updating to 6.1.1. Technical reasons dictate this policy. We're sorry to hear if you missed this and upgraded without reading the release notes. If you are stuck in a way that your printer got stuck during the installation process, please send us a ticket via this link and make sure to include which printer you have. We should be able to help you out fairly quickly! 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:56 AM, Navin2020 said:

there was a nozzle difference error but the update is definately better than the previous

Oh - that's unrelated.  I started a new topic for you:

6.1.1 firmware. S5 pro bundle.

Why i cant load new material in material station when print is going?  It do load it in the hole but MS dont "see" it have loaded. it just wait in loading screen. 

On 2/4/2021 at 2:06 PM, herby_custom said:

6.1.1 firmware. S5 pro bundle.

Why i cant load new material in material station when print is going?  It do load it in the hole but MS dont "see" it have loaded. it just wait in loading screen. 

So nothing?? Ok... Quess this is normal then. Nice feature. 

Ultimaker or third party material?

Did you try to unload it, remove the spool (important!) and reload it?

Put Ultimaker material to the left edge of a bay.

Ultimaker materia. Empty spool on tray. Yes Left side. Just like allways in 5.8.2 and it have worked but not anymore. I did try same on next print and then there was no spool and same. 

On 2/6/2021 at 3:35 PM, herby_custom said:

Ultimaker materia. Empty spool on tray. Yes Left side. Just like allways in 5.8.2 and it have worked but not anymore. I did try same on next print and then there was no spool and same. 

If you can reproduce this (make it happen again) we would like to see the logfiles. Could you then file a report with support? Because it should work the same as in 5.8.2.

On 1/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, JeremyMTB said:

The release notes did not clearly state this?

Hi,

Thank you for the update on the materials , it helped me a lot to manage our materials we created. But i think this new UI should be on the top of the list and not at the bottom for me because the propositions on the first list may conduct to select a wrong material and the "brand" list is far better to select the right one.

I have also a question with the firewall. I like the fact that we can protect our printer from people importing non desired materials , but activating it forces me to print in Cura via cloud instead of printing via network right ?

Thank you in advance . 

23 hours ago, TMuller said:

Thank you for the update on the materials , it helped me a lot to manage our materials we created. But i think this new UI should be on the top of the list and not at the bottom for me because the propositions on the first list may conduct to select a wrong material and the "brand" list is far better to select the right one.

What we want to do is show the 5 or 6 most used materials in the first list then you can click "show the rest" where you can dive deep and select an other. The idea is that in 80% of the time one only uses up to 5-6 materials.

23 hours ago, TMuller said:

I have also a question with the firewall. I like the fact that we can protect our printer from people importing non desired materials , but activating it forces me to print in Cura via cloud instead of printing via network right ?

Yes, if you turn on the firewall you can only print via DF or USB (of course). Personally I prefer printing via cloud. It might sound strange, but it's faster for me? To sync materials you currently do need to disable the firewall, we are working on a alternative way of updating materials, but that will take some time.

• Like 1