Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)

SandervG

Posted · Introducing: Ultimaker firmware 6.1.1 (with Static IP!)
On 1/27/2021 at 4:32 AM, robinmdh said:

Hotfix 6.1.1 is on the way for the issue we've identified, pending tests and approval.
In some rare cases corrupted material profile files where giving problems and a small change in python's xml.etree.ElementTree library meant this caused the application not to start up.

As a workaround you can turn off Cura and "reset all printer settings" in the settings menu before upgrading, that will allow you to install the 6.1.0 without the current problem.

In the mean time if you have already gotten stuck at the logo screen, please open a support ticket as @SandervG said!
Use the 6.1.0 recovery image not a 5.x or older one! as mentioned a lot before 6.x can't be downgraded, this can brick your printer in a not user recoverable way.

Hello, was the hotfix ever released?

Hello, in the Release Notes (shown at the printer) there is something with a "script to not lose the printing history etc"

How does it work? Where can I find it?

Why are things like these lost at an Update?!

An update should not delete anythign like this...

5 hours ago, Jonas98 said:

Why are things like these lost at an Update?!

An update should not delete anything like this...

This update resizes one partition and shrinks the location where we store all the prints in you queue... This does not happen every update, most updates have no such effect, but due to updating the whole OS and in the process everything seems to need more space.

Is there any method to do a complete image capture of the drive prior to an upgrade attempt?  Kind of like a 'ghost' image used for quick OS replication and restoral?  This would allow a worst-case roll-back to a known state.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robinmdh said:

This update resizes one partition and shrinks the location where we store all the prints in you queue... This does not happen every update, most updates have no such effect, but due to updating the whole OS and in the process everything seems to need more space.

Is it not possible to safe the data bevor doing this? For expampel plug USB Stick or something? Just as inspiration for future things like this..

17 hours ago, Jonas98 said:

For expampel plug USB Stick

yes, and we did plan that story, but then the argument was made this would take too much time and suddenly writing to usb sticks that then might be too small would also not be super great, so we did make some scripts to do exactly this but you'll have to ask support about it to get them + instructions. This flow does sadden me but testing and integrating this with the update process would indeed have taken a decent chunk of time...

19 hours ago, jsw said:

Is there any method to do a complete image capture of the drive prior to an upgrade attempt?

Yes I suppose, have you ever used dd? if not please don't, if yes then you already know how.

Also 6.2.0  has been released, anyone here install it yet?

1 hour ago, robinmdh said:

yes, and we did plan that story, but then the argument was made this would take too much time and suddenly writing to usb sticks that then might be too small would also not be super great, so we did make some scripts to do exactly this but you'll have to ask support about it to get them + instructions. This flow does sadden me but testing and integrating this with the update process would indeed have taken a decent chunk of time...

Yes I suppose, have you ever used dd? if not please don't, if yes then you already know how.

yes, installed. no issues for me

20 hours ago, robinmdh said:

I've used dd for decades.  However, I have not played around with the S5 enough to even know how to drop to a command prompt and beat on it at a shell level.  I figure since it's working fine, it's best not to go {f-bomb}-ing with it, as in ain't broke, don't fix it.  😉

You know what would be a Real Nice Thing (tm) for Ultimaker to do in the name of Good Customer Relations (tm) would be to publish some instructions on how to do just that.  I for one would feel far more warm and fuzzy and more willing to upgrade if I knew that there was a safety net to let me put things back the way they were should anything unfortunate or unexpected happen.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, robinmdh said:

Okey.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, robinmdh said:

Yes I installed it yesterday. But direkt from the Version bevore 6.1 (skipped 6.1 because of the comments here 😅)

I printed 2 things yesterday. Till now no issues. (Yes of course the history is gone but...)