Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Odd Noise at Top and Bottom of Build Plate Travel

Posted · Odd Noise at Top and Bottom of Build Plate Travel

My older S5 (about 2 years old) just started making an odd noise at the very top and very bottom of the build plate travel.  It seems to move normally, and no odd sounds except the last few mm either at the top or bottom.  It sounds like a plastic squeaking noise, like when you try to run a screw through a tight piece of plastic.  I cleaned the lead screw and re-lubricated it.  I lubricated the two guide rods.  And I visually inspected it to see if I could see anything stuck in the lead screw.  Nothing, and it don't solve the issue. 

It sounds like a chunk of material got into the lead screw bushing, but I don't see an easy way to take that apart to clean and inspect that area.  Any guides available for replacing the build plate or the lead screw?  That would probably get me what I need.

I also have the same problem, if you put your hand on the Z axis screw, you will find that the Z axis servo motor is working and causing the sound.

The problem was improved after I manually leveled it, but it was not completely resolved.

So I want to find the factory default Settings in the System Settings screen to see if I can solve this problem.

If you haven’t already it’s worth checking the white “housing” at the back of the build plate for rubbing against the linear bearing shafts. Mine makes contact in my S3 and makes noise at the top and bottom of the build plate travel.

I haven’t found a fix yet, the holes simply don’t align to the shafts.