Big lip on print. Not sure what to do

remoteboy

Posted · Big lip on print. Not sure what to do

Hi, first post and first time using the Cura software. I printed a project for my son last night. It was a desk with drawers and he broke all the pieces out into separate components. It looks something like this. 

1839882102_Screenshot2021-02-13at11_40_13.thumb.png.5bd6abfc0373ff2bd98088123d7e9d87.png

I selected support and adhesion, which gave me something like this once sliced and previewed. 

2109002711_Screenshot2021-02-13at11_42_42.thumb.png.4e06f103e85b5d2b39e043555f22b804.png

But when it printed everything seemed to have a misplaced bottom layer, where there was a big lip sticking out at the front and a gap at the back, as if the bottom layer had slipped. 

IMG_6435.thumb.jpeg.9a8d543f500cfb52a2d5601ae069d3e1.jpegIMG_6434.thumb.jpeg.04e1ea862a5fd506a96012e70d841e05.jpeg

Is this meant to happen and I'm supposed to remove this layer, or have I done something wrong? Apologies for the basic nature of the question. Like I say, it's my first time working with this and I'm learning as I go. Oh, and the printer is a Geeetech A20M.

Many thanks for reading.

Posted · Big lip on print. Not sure what to do

This is extremely common.  It's a problem with your printer.  First you need to know if it slipped in X or Y.  Then concentrate only on that axis.  I'm guessing you have one of those printers where the bed moves in Y - it's most likely that axis if you do.

So then something slipped.  Some pulley on the stepper or pulley on a belt.  Those pulleys have a tiny set screw.  Tighten the hell out of that screw.  I mean so tight that if you use an allen wrench and hold the short end of the L in your fingers it hurts.  A lot.  the shaft should twist slightly.  That tight.  Then try printing again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Big lip on print. Not sure what to do

The end cabinets (that I suppose the drawers go into) might be able to be rotated open end up so they don't need support on the inside. 

When printing things with large flats on the build plate you can often get by with a skirt instead of using brims.  They use less material and don't need to be trimmed off while still getting the flow going.  So I would do the legs as a separate print with a brim (so they don't fall over), and the rest of the stuff with just a skirt.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1