UM3 stoped mid in the print, then ER16

KrisR

Posted · UM3 stoped mid in the print, then ER16

After some 20--30 minutes the printer just stopped. The nozzle was not moving. Display showed only info about remaining time. 

I tried to pause and restart the job -- nothing happened.

After cancelling, the printer didn't drowe any axis. eventually it displayed error ER16, which is for Z-axis limiting.

I drowe the axis manually and could hear the "click" nicely and clear.

Just to be sure I cleaned and lubricated z-axis. 2 days later the same error.

Any ideas how to search for the reason of this error?

best regards

UM3 with firmware 5.2.16.202000331

XY motion stress-test - OK

bed level sensor performance - OK

switches - OK

I'm guessing the er16 comes right when the print would have ended?  So if it was a 40 minute print and it stopped moving at 20 minutes then another 20 minutes later.  At the end of the print it does a G28 which homes the Z axis and gets an error because it never hits the limit.  I think the 24V is not reaching the steppers.  I expect the nozzle and bed also slowly cool down once it stops moving.

If so then you need a new PCB under your printer - the largest board - the white one.

Contact your reseller.  They may honor the warranty even if older than 1 year.  You could just buy a new PCB or you can fix it - I can help with that if you are good with soldering.  I think it's possible that it's with the K1 relay (not 100% sure the UM3 has that circuit but probably it does) which also failed on one of my UM2s (but my UM3 is fine).  the fix was pretty easy - required soldering a wire across two points on the board.

Either way something is wrong with either the red circuit board or the white circuit board under your printer and more likely the white one.

er16 came in 1/3--1/2 of the print. (and it wasn't any big -- just two tubes d32x2x18)

If you are right about 24V -- where should I measure it? I have mutlimeter somewhere around. Before I start to break things apart it would be nice to check it.