TronXY X5SA PRO with CURA 4.8.0 stops printing after a minute and freezes

Posted · TronXY X5SA PRO with CURA 4.8.0 stops printing after a minute and freezes

My Printer is a TronXY X5SA PRO with the 330x330x400mm volume.

The TronXY-slicer (which is said to be an offshoot of CURA) has no option for online print via USB - at least I could not find it.

And using these small micro SD-Cards does function but is a real pain.

Therefore my next step was to get the latest Cura version 4.8.0 in the hope to get the USB connectivity I had on my trusty old Dremel printer.

Well, I found the profile for my printer, set the Baud rate to the appropriate 115200 and could connect PC and printer.

Only to realize that there is some problem - after a minute or two the print stops without giving any information whatever the cause may be.

Temperatures of bed and nozzle are as I had set - hot filament slowly oozes out of the nozzle, but the printer does nothing, reacts to no input and has to be restarted.

All with the effect that I now have two holes burned into the bed surface.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Peter

• 1 month later...
    Posted · TronXY X5SA PRO with CURA 4.8.0 stops printing after a minute and freezes

Seems nobody reads this apart from myself.

So here is MY answer - the firmware of this printer is crap.

Tronxy has implemented a USB (and - at extra cost - even a WIFI) but becaus of too high a transmission rate you cannot control the printer by these means, only just by micro sd cards. And as we all know, these slots fail very soon.

I wanted to try the Toshiba FlashAir WIFI (W-03) card, but alas, they are no  longer available. These would have been a very good viable solution - wireless data transfer to the printer, and then start the print manually. Would have been perfect. Just a dream which puffed into clouds...

So, is there a possibility to activate the USB port to accept a data transfer to the SD Card? Can this ARM32 processsor be made to do the trick?

VERY SMALL files (really SMALL ones) and only just a few layers can be printed directly from the computer, then the ARM32 gets overflowed and freezes. So, why not use the SD card as a data buffer? Other 3D printers are able to do this (eg. Flashforge, Dremel et al.). Somewhere in my old brain I think I have read that you can make this CPU to write its firmware/memory to the SD card - I am no software engineer, so I cannot follow this to any extent.

In the meantime I am going to use an adapter cable  (Micro SD to normal SD card) because this is much less costly than a new motherboard, and readily available too.

The Tronxy engineers need a kick in the beehind to get their printers up to a useful standard. Mind you - hardware-like these 3D printers are getting better day by day. But unless they follow up with the firmware I would not advise anybody to buy one (with the exception - if you are able to swap the motherboard to something else and get it to run)