Inconsistent support pattern

emtee

Posted · Inconsistent support pattern

I've designed a complex enclosure which will take 7 days to print, so I've got this 12-hour-print test piece to make sure sizes and supports work before setting off on a 7-day print for the whole thing - so two more questions.

Firstly - after my problems with unnecessary support towers, I spotted that the support in the small holes (3.4mm) stopped 1mm short, so were actually doing nothing. I've been able to print these very nicely by selectively disabling support. But the final enclosure will have about 80 of these holes. Q: is there was a way of disabling support on small holes rather than having to disable each one individually?

Secondly - the three holes on the left are supported with the selected zig-zag support, and work fine. But the support in the hole on the right is solid, and not zig-zag - but it does have tiny gap top and bottom, so at least it can be removed. Q: why would this happen and can it be fixed?

As always, many thanks. 

cura-5.thumb.jpg.7bf269e654e8d4086a6da3deab1842f4.jpg

Hi @emtee 

3 hours ago, emtee said:

Q: is there was a way of disabling support on small holes rather than having to disable each one individually?

You could try to change the minimum support area. So add the mm2 of your holes there and no support will be printed.

3 hours ago, emtee said:

Q: why would this happen and can it be fixed?

This depends on the placement of your model. If you look closely you will probably see a zigzag line but different than the other infill. 

Please let me know if you have more questions. Or if the minimum support area doesn't work.

1 hour ago, fvrmr said:

You could try to change the minimum support area. So add the mm2 of your holes there and no support will be printed.

Thanks - yes, that worked although I had to do it via trial and error.

1 hour ago, fvrmr said:

This depends on the placement of your model. If you look closely you will probably see a zigzag line but different than the other infill. 

Certainly changing orientation changes the degree of zig-zag. It seems that the orientation of the zig-zag doesn't relate to the model, but to the base grid. 

As always, thanks again

• Like 1

21 hours ago, emtee said:

Certainly changing orientation changes the degree of zig-zag. It seems that the orientation of the zig-zag doesn't relate to the model, but to the base grid. 

Yes that is correct.

Good luck with your 7 day print 🙂