Reducing filament between supports

mark-hale

Posted · Reducing filament between supports

Hi

I seem to recall someone posted some nice images which showed how temp and I think speed, influenced the print finish. Unfortunately I can't recall what the post was titled and can't find it in the search. Just recall an image which showed blocks and had a note of temp on each block. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

I am trying to work out what I need to do with the print im currently working on to reduce the amount of "flashing" between the support sections. Thought the post might help me to figure out what I need to do. It's not a major issue to be honest as quite easy to clean up and I guess it does give a little more support, but would be great to reduce it a little. The image is taken when I had the CURA settings set to Fast print mode. So totally default settings.

Thanks

gr5 will be along soon with that link (I really should bookmark it myself one of these days...).

In the mean time I would recommend that you switch over to expert settings. Expert -> Switch to full settings. Once that's done make sure that the Enable retraction box is ticked. To me it looks like retractions aren't enabled at all on your print (maybe a "feature" of the fast print setting) and that's why it's making a mess.

Don't be afraid of the "Expert" mode, it's really quite straight forward and gives you better control over your print. You'll have to get in there eventually so why not start today :)

Yes totally agree, I have dipped my toe in occasionally but what would be useful is to know what the settings for fast, normal and HQ settings are in the expert mode, as notice as soon as I go into that the time increases quite a bit.

Any ideas?

Sure, slice something in one of the quickprint modes and save the gcode file somewhere. Next go into full settings and import the settings by going to File -> Load profile from GCode and find your saved gcode-file.

At least that's how it's supposed to work, I've never actually done it myself hehe.

None of the quickprint settings turn on retraction, as far as I know. I'm really not sure why; retraction is pretty much essential for most any print, and is a sufficiently well-tested solution that it should be standard now.

thanks gr5 and illuminarti