Clearance between print and print head

EmilyJ

Posted · Clearance between print and print head

I am new to 3D printing and tried to print a mesh with skinny, tall "pegs". As you can see in the picture, the printing head moved the peg and placed the material to the side of the peg. Are there settings I can change to prevent this from happening? I am also not set on this design, so if there are tips on structures that work well when 3D printed, that would be very helpful. 

IMG_5747.jpg

Those are a bit wobbly.  I recommend the base is always at least 1/5th (aka 20%) as wide as the part is tall.  So either make those about twice as wide or make them into a cone where the base is about twice as wide.

What is the purpose of your mesh with skinny pegs?  Hard to offer any other tips without knowing more. 🙂

The other advice for printing things this small is to print at least 5 so that each one can cool while it prints the others however you already followed that advice as there are a lot more than 5!  🙂

You might also try printing slower and possibly also cooler.  Set your travel speed as high as possible (you can probably set to 500mm/sec and hopefully your printer will not print any faster than it should if it's setup correctly) and set your printing speed to something slow like 25mm/sec.

Printing slower means pressure in the nozzle is lower so it leaks less.

printing cooler means the plastic is more viscous so it leaks less.

Wow.  Nice job getting that tall.  You might have invented a new calibration print!

It looks like they did well to about 7-8mm and then they pretty much all failed one way or another.

Time for an experiment.

This will be used in a filter. The mesh is used as mechanical support, but it keeps bowing into open chamber. I thought about adding the pegs to hold the mesh in place without impeding flow. 

Larger features and less density.  You are going to take a hit on flow.  Minimizing the size of the hit is the trick.

If I may ask, what direction is flow?

BTW the first experiment on vertical extrusion failed.

The flow is perpendicular to the pegs. 

3 blades .8 wide by however long and tall  Top, bottom, and middle.  Much easier to print.  If you still get movement of the filter then increase the blade count.

I still don't understand this mesh you speak of.  Can you draw a rough sketch with pencil and paper, photograph that and post it?

These posts *are* the mesh?  Or the mesh sits above them?  Or are they like the sides of a soccer goal and the mesh goes from one post to another?

Or do you mean the air flow is parallel to the long axis of the pegs (you said perpendicular)?

Or the mesh is flat on the printer glass and I just can't see it because of the camera angle (maybe show another angle in this case)?

I am also not sure if I get it? If you need a sort of filter, couldn't you print something like this? Laying flat instead of upright? This is a sift for the sink drain in my lab. If not the filter itself, but just to encapsulate and support a filter, then you could do way bigger holes for less aerodynamic resistance.

zeef1.thumb.jpg.4c0f2b050c6d9413ee6215f12145c401.jpg

zeef_zoom1.thumb.jpg.396d23dadef6116bef79017ae5a906ea.jpg