Some problems.

Yland

Posted · Some problems.

Hello,

I have recovered the printer from my company and I want to repair it because it has several problems:

1) "Low sensor performance (ER45)" when I try to diagnose the "Bed level sensor". I checked all the connectors, all the wires, and everything seems correct but I still have this error. I tried everything I found on the internet but nothing walking (clean the bed, update firmware,...)

2) My second extruder seems clogged (The extruder can't push the filament when it's inside the PrintCore and no material is extruded). It's a BB 0.4.

3) "Nozzle offset probe failed" when i try to "active leveling". 

I need some help to save this printer ! 

Ylan

Posted · Some problems.

Ultimaker 3 can do manual leveling which I find to be just as good and much faster than active leveling (since you only have to manual level once per month or so).  So that can solve issue 1 and 3 potentially.  Buying a new BB can solve issue 2 but BB cores aren't too hard to clean.

In the maintenance menu on the printer you can do hot and cold pulls for that BB core.  I recommend that.

What happens is that PVA when at printing temps slowly (over many minutes or even hours if you haven't used that core for weeks) caramelizes into brown and black gunk that has trouble going through the nozzle.

Posted · Some problems.

Regarding #1 - leveling is sensitive to electromagnetic radiation so keep laptops, cell phones, other electronics at least 10 cm away from the printer to see if that helps.

Sometimes you have to replace the larger PCB inside the head (I think - not certain).  Your reseller can help you out there.  They can sell you any part even though they don't usually show all the parts on their website.

Posted (edited) · Some problems.

If this is an Ultimaker 3 extended, the 'update firmware' might be contributing to the issue.  Have a look in this section, I will try to find the links and update this post.

I've just gone through an issue with my UM3X where active levelling was resulting in a value way too tight.  So tight that laying down the initial layers clogged a print core so tightly that hot an cold pulls could not clear it.  I had to heat up the tip and use a tip cleaning needle.

I also thought a firmware update would improve so did so.  Active levelling resulted in a slightly higher initial position but an inconsistent height on the build plate.

In the end I followed the advice of other posters and reverted all the way back to 4.3.3 via recovery image.  For some reason, the ultimaker 3 extended is affected by this.  My other printer, an Ultimaker 3 (not extended), had no issues.

Capacitive sensor wise, if you can get a good picture with the front fan door open and the print cores removed, the capacitive cable might also have a pinch or fray at the connection to the sensor, I picked this up on my UM3X during this process as well.

This forum definitely helped me solve these issues and get the printer back into service.

John

Edited by JohnInOttawa

Posted · Some problems.
    On 2/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, gr5 said:

Ultimaker 3 can do manual leveling which I find to be just as good and much faster than active leveling (since you only have to manual level once per month or so).  So that can solve issue 1 and 3 potentially.  Buying a new BB can solve issue 2 but BB cores aren't too hard to clean.

In the maintenance menu on the printer you can do hot and cold pulls for that BB core.  I recommend that.

What happens is that PVA when at printing temps slowly (over many minutes or even hours if you haven't used that core for weeks) caramelizes into brown and black gunk that has trouble going through the nozzle.

Thanks a lot !