What kind of filament would you suggest?

HaryPlotter

Posted · What kind of filament would you suggest?

Hi Folks,

since some print-downtime. I´ m back up and after doing some rather "basic" prints, I wonder if you would have a suggestion for me.

The other time a part of my Dishwashing-Mashine cracked up and I couldn´ t get it back to start again. After examining the part my first idea was, hey you got a printer, so just draw it and then print it...

Easy said, drawn but printing... I´ m not sure.

Let´ s here my thoughts about it...:

1. The shell must be rugged and heat resistant. I guess dishwasher can end up with temperatures above PLA digits....

2. The walls are very thin (1,5-2mm). Probably the industry solve this with a mold and just injects the molten PP or PET into it...

3. A lot of holes and tiny changes.

4. Lots of overhangs...

Result: A lot of support and probably walls that will eventually break in my hands if I choose the wrong filament..

So what I need would be some kind of PC, or ABS, but ABS with PVA will not work.

Maybe I miss an essential filament (or 3rd pary filament) that you guys use here to get this job done.

For the support I would probably use the "interface" solution which adds only a small part of PVA on top and then creates the print above that layer. Plus maybe "conical support"...

I really have no idea. Like I said thinking it and drawing it wasn´ t that hard, but now where it comes to the real thing... I probably only loose time and money when I will choose the wrong filament...

Or you simply say. This is too hard and it will eventually fail, as the printer is not made for this kind of "creations". Then I will leave it be and concentrate on other things... Maybe buying an injection mold system! 😂😂

Thanks for any advice and keep save and healthy!

Daniel

PS: I would need to make two separate prints and then just glue em together as my printbed will not have the size and this way the print could be mor efficient nonetheless...1849157628_Parts1and2.thumb.jpg.3307338cbf895f3ad22ccc500e93f83b.jpg606144706_Finalizedcombination(mesurementstoverify).thumb.jpg.9805b0c938bad5d28ba8c2230e3e8b5a.jpg

Are you sure this is the only thing that is broken? And there is not some other fault (maybe electrical or electronic)?

I would say: if you do have standard PLA, try that and do a *cold* wash (=max 40°C) to see if it works now. Only then go for a more suitable material (but I can't give recommendations, lack of experience myself of heat-resistant materials).

Do the parts have to be so thin, to fit well, or is there room for thicker parts?

If I had to do this, for a first prototype to test the fit and function, I would cut it into pieces, so that I could print each one flat on its back. And then assemble and glue it like Faller HO model railroad houses. Probably...

And what about glueing the original, and maybe reinforcing weak areas with some glued-on metal plates, or metal-containing self-curing putty? Or glass-fiber tissue and epoxy, like in car body repairs?

Posted (edited) · What kind of filament would you suggest?

Hi geert,

yes indeed that was my second thought (repairing only the defective parts). But that is triky as well as the screws that hold donw the element ar ruined, too...

Anyhow I will test the print wil normal PLA first and for sure I will have to go for the 2 parts as together they will be too big to fit the buildplate.

Electronically the machine is ok and running but now you have to stress the plate in order to reach the buttons because the plate came off and before damaging it too far I wanted to repair is or to "substitute" it but for this reaso I will want to open the machine and see if there could be more space to print the walls thicker. Could help...

Second try would be with PC - filament... I guess I won´t be able to substitute it with the indicaed materials as the broken areas are way too small (eg. fibreglass & epoxy... ) I would have CF-20-filament but that is just good in biger parts and if bent, it will eventually brake. I think if I succed in one test with pla I will go forward and try the same parts with PC... and then glue em together.

But I am still open for any additional Ideas..

Greetings

PS: I´  ll leave you with the original "broken" part so you can see the damage a bit better...

20210223_170224.jpg

20210223_171316.jpg

Edited by HaryPlotter

If the rest of the part was still okay, thus not worn-out and not brittle or crumbling apart, and if it was my machine, I would probably consider modeling only the damaged areas. And then cut these off the original part, drill a couple of holes, and bolt the new 3D-printed parts on, using a M4 or M5 bolts and nuts. That is, if there would be enough room for that in the machine and in the part, of course.

But this won't work if the original is crumbling and too brittle (it looks a bit like that?). It seems to be an ABS-blend, as I noticed the words ABS on the side.

• Like 1

Yep, it´ s a blend between PC and ABS...

Now I will try the following. I will first print only the damaged parts, which will save time, money and if the dimensions are not perfect (what in the first prints will / could happen can still be modified, because the filament tends to have a shringage of its own... ;O). This I´  ll do it in PLA and then try it on the original...

Then eventually I will try the same print with ABS and glue it there with acetone. I thik that will never come back of as it dissoves the material to a point where it just fuses together with the PC.. would save me the bolts and as well I don´  t think the bolts would love the electronic parts (if they touch it).. Anyhow I will start the first print today and let you see the outcome...

C ya!

Ok,  here it comes...

The outcome seems to be ok for a first print. But I have probabbly dissolved the PVA in too hot water, so after the PVA came off there was a warping of the upper levels (not that I previeved that) but I was kind of curious if it would last for a while.

Now I will have to disassemble the machine and see for myself, if I can adapt my print with e.g. thicker walls, supports on some of the upper levels that will not "hurt" the installation itself.

Then I´ ll have a second print...

Last step then will be a print with ABS...

Here are the pics:

Printed with support.jpg

Dimensions seem to be ok.jpg

Orignal settings.jpg

Warping after dissolution of support PVA in probbably too hot water.jpg