Double Infill Wall where one is supposed to go. Any Tips for settings?

wckdawe

Posted (edited) · Double Infill Wall where one is supposed to go. Any Tips for settings?

Good morning/evening ladies and gents!

I hope you all have had a wonderful day. Let me get straight to business ^_^.

--- Printer: Ender 3 V2 Stock
--- Cura Ver: 4.8.0
--- Awesomeness and Wholesomness being printed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3372353  (LID)

--- Instead of 0.1mm ( recommended settings | Thingiverse ), I'm printing: 0.12 Super Quality, Default

--- Object placed Z: -0.24m, I only care to test the small triangle detail / outside perimeter. Bottom layer prints awesome.

I'm having some issue with some very thin lines being printed too close one to an other (As if it is double infill line instead of one), leading to, as i understand, increase in pressure and ending up with a huge blob at the end of that move.
image.thumb.png.125bfedaa9e821a31a0c3078c2a548db.pngimage.thumb.png.f16a2cbbbb23eb97d51f663a2a0811bd.png

As i understand, Cura has the "limitation" of printing Wall Lines in pair. As such I am changing the default wall lines from 3 down to 2. Additionally I enable Filter out Tiny Gaps.

This way now, the whole inner side is printed, for some reason the Yellow Top/Bottom infill layer is printed twice. Take a look that even though the whole layer is finished, there is still some space on the slider. That is the second fill of the yellow line leading to pressure buildup. At the end of that line print a blob will be created.

Now... I can always go down to 1 wall Line, and in addition to changing the seam to "Sharpest Corner",  I tend to get good results. But because there are many tiny vibrations on the printer due to so many small moves. Also, those results tend to not be repeatable, some are better than others. I want to try get consistent results and maybe skip the "zig-zag" pattern.

image.thumb.png.ee0fbb094717175bdb74b691fafa7c7b.png

I am receiving the best results till now, consistently, with the following settings:

• Seam: Sharpest Corner
  • Wall Lines Count: 2
  • Extra Skin Wall Count: 0 (Instead of default, 1)

But I am still getting the Zig-Zag pattern. If i change the the pattern to Concetric, I get again the following double line (First straight yellow, then zig-zag pattern on top, on the same layer).
image.thumb.png.79ab7c69d6d823c28757410f4444e21f.png

One last idea I had was to set Fill Gaps between walls to Nowhere + Top/Bottom: Concentric, but i end up getting in the preview a big empty space, probably because the line is too thin to be printed there.
image.thumb.png.4a167dc3edab90fa0df37d63231d3b08.png 

So, the question is: Am i doing something wrong and getting that "double infill wall",  Is there any way i can get in total 5 lines with no zig zag pattern?
Please enlighten me with your knowledge.
Here are some of my prints. You can see where they failed, some extra lines, and the one that was successful (the ones on the printer bed) was printed with the settings mentioned above as "best results". As you can see I am not much of a photographer.

IMG_20210303_152218.thumb.jpg.c572738a3ecb00adb362268f2312808c.jpgIMG_20210303_152245.thumb.jpg.74827cb9a24f43344da0dbfbc7313994.jpgIMG_20210303_152306.thumb.jpg.42fb8dd12256f1b79096eaeb5df0ae03.jpgIMG_20210303_152422.thumb.jpg.c4253188dba94f513a9f7e6d9afa43be.jpgIMG_20210303_152450.thumb.jpg.15e1f2c7d7223bbe91aaa184f66b57f9.jpgIMG_20210303_152440.thumb.jpg.52b6d050fd28c0988d4f53fc6932b20b.jpg

I am delighted to finally post a question in the forums after owning a 3D Printer for a few months and scanning this forum for Q&As about common problems. I might even get to see the yellow minion guy or the programmer sun with his custom cura builds!

Thank you for reading this,
Kind regards,
 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_20210303_152440.jpg

IMG_20210303_152450.jpg

IMG_20210303_152218.jpg

IMG_20210303_152245.jpg

IMG_20210303_152306.jpg

IMG_20210303_152422.jpg

Edited by wckdawe
Argggg.. Duplicate pictures are here to stay.

Posted · Double Infill Wall where one is supposed to go. Any Tips for settings?
    26 minutes ago, wckdawe said:

Is there any way i can get in total 5 lines with no zig zag pattern?

Ha!  This is basically the only question as I see it.

1) Well you can switch to 6 lines and make them all thinner.  That may work better than you would suspect.  With a 0.4mm nozzle you can typically set "line width" down to 0.3mm (75%) without too much loss of quality.  So I'd try that.  Usually 75% to 150% range works okay.

Thin walls are tricky

2) The new version of Cura - the "alpha" version supposedly does things much different and I think *maybe* it can do 5 lines instead of 6 for walls?  I read what it does differently... and then forgot most of it but I seem to remember it can do walls with odd numbers of lines?  Maybe?  Or maybe it will be able to when complete?  It's still many months away from completed I think but it's worth a host.

3) The "MB" version of cura just does a much nicer job with thin walls.  I don't understand why - it just does in certain cases.  Your walls might not be thin enough that there is any difference.  I'm not sure what MB does differently but you could give it a shot.  It's quite safe to use and try out.  "MB" are initials of a user on this forum "burtoogle" aka "smartavionics":

https://github.com/smartavionics/Cura/releases

• Like 1

@gr5 The minion has replied! ❤️

Okay, I'll give it a try with a smaller line width. I think i can do the base of the lid with 0.4mm line width, while the "wall" side (above the 0.24mm) with 0.3mm. I'll give that a few tries when I get the chance later today.

Is the "alpha" version of cura available for anyone to use currently?

I'll have to take a look of @burtoogle 's build to see what's so awesomely different about that.

OH WAIT. that guys is the custom cura sunshine builder! Hey! One post and i get to meet both of you. 🥳

I'll keep you updated as soon as I give anything a try. Thanks again! 🙂

23 hours ago, wckdawe said:

Is the "alpha" version of cura available for anyone to use currently?

Oh!  yes.  Go to the normal download page for cura:

https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura

Then just below the huge download button click on the "previous" versions link.  There's only one version with "alpha" in the title.

20 hours ago, gr5 said:

Oh!  yes.  Go to the normal download page for cura:

https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura

Danke! Awesome.

I was able to get the walls printed nicely yesterday (the lid) ❤️, But it wasn't a perfectly perfect print (somewhat failed a bit on the body). It seems I'm either missing something or maybe I have something not so well calibrated. I'll have to recall from my memory now because I'm out of home. 

When printing the base (probably the same issue would happen on the lid), in order to save some time, I set the First Layer Height to be 0.28mm instead of 0.12mm. This leads to some overextrusion (only in the first layer), making the base look bad, similar to the picture attached.
    image.png.d2f45f84137fe6e6ab74a3657570eeff.png

When I then try any other 0.28 print (whole, not just first layer), the results seems pretty fine. Could that be caused by the Line width settings + the Initial layer of 0.28 which is more than double of the 0.12 Layer Height configured?

I didn't really have time to tinker with these, I'll give it my best on the Weekend and probably post my results :) 

Thanks again for all the help you provided m8!
    Kind regards,
    A random internet stranger that has fun 3d printing and learning

What you see in the above picture is (mostly) desirable.  If it's overextruding then you have excellent "squish" into the print bed and your part will stick better.  It may look "ugly" now but soon the next layer up will cover that up.  However you can still make it look better if you really want.

Are you printing on blue tape?  Are you washing the blue tape with alcohol (blue tape has a waxy surface that parts don't stick to well but 5 seconds with isopropyl alcohol fixes that)?  The Ultimaker printers don't need blue tape - you can print directly on the glass.

I am printing directly on to the Ender 3 glass bed. 

I made the 0.28 layer height adjustment so I would print the base with only one layer (because it has a big surface and would take longer to print 2 or 3 of the same area). 

Out of curiosity, how would I make that prettier? It make sense that over extruding that will create the best adhesion though 😅

I'll be able to do some test prints today to see if I can make it better 

When you print the next layer up it will be prettier.

To make the bottom layer look better just get it to extrude less.  If you are doing manual level then just turn the leveling screws such that the nozzle is farther from the bed.  If it's autolevel then adjust the flow rate for the bottom layer.  You are overextruding by maybe 50%?  So if it's exactly 50% overextruded (150% of normal) then you want flow at 66%.  You can set "initial layer flow" in cura.

You can experiment on your printer while it's printing to find the best flow.  Then stop the print.  If it's autolevel then you adjust flow in the menus on your printer to experiment.  While it's printing.  If it's manual level then just adjust the leveling screws while it's printing.

Here are some images of good and bad extrusion.  This is a 0.3mm extrusion squished to different amounts.  The numbers indicate how high the nozzle was above the print bed when printing the right amount of filament to get .3mm thick layer.

0.15 to 0.2 are perfect.  0.35 is obviously too high off the bed (barely sticks at all).  0.05 and 0mm are too squished (unless you want it that way - the part will REALLY stick like hell - it's amazing really).

skirt.thumb.png.6b55ac68e85d4be60c98ec88f89bf5ca.png

Posted (edited) · Double Infill Wall where one is supposed to go. Any Tips for settings?

@gr5 You sir rock :3. Indeed, the second layer was quite prettier when i gave it a try, so i guess not really any fix is necessary there. But the information about flow gives some helpful insight.

I am manually leveling, so i guess it is all up to the precision of the hands, but I want to believe i did end up getting some decent prints.

I was a bit busy this week afterall, but here!

They are not "perfect", but it is what it is! I will be waiting for some extra parts and try to complete this piece. I'll drop an update probably when and if i'm done 🙂

Thanks again m8!

IMG_20210309_110653.jpg

IMG_20210309_110731.jpg

Edited by wckdawe
    • Like 1