Carbon fiber materials on UM2+C ?

Gero

Posted · Carbon fiber materials on UM2+C ?

Hello there. 

Does the UM2+C have hardened extruder gears like the UMS3 and S5 for abrasive materials?

I know I can upgrade the nozzle of the UM2+C with a Rubin nozzle but can the rest of the printer handle abrasive materials as well?

Thanks in advance. 

Hi

no, unfortunately the feeder gear is not hardened.

One possibility is to buy the feeder from S3/S5 you replace the feeder gear from it. But you have to buy the whole feeder, because as far as I know the feeder gear is not available as a spare part.

• 1 year later...

I'm also interested in printing with abrasive materials. As far as I can tell from pictures online, the UM2+C and S-line feeder housings are the same except for the flow sensor and hardened knurled gear. However, the flow sensor is a separate part, so I think that could be removed if it causes an issue loading materials. I think the feeders might be able to be swapped as complete assemblies without the need to swap parts. 

Yes, you can buy the S-line feeder and leave the flow sensor electronics attached. In fact, the UM2+C was prepared to support this sensor, but it was removed for cost reasons (and replaced by a prostetic). The connector is present on the mainboard and even partial software support is there, the flow error is detected but the warning text is not implemented to show on the screen and neither can be continued.

Ordering codes:
    203732 S5 feeder, left, rev.1

225720 Feeder assembly left (1), rev.2, fine knurl

Both revisions are almost equal, except that the rev.2 has a changed knurl pattern to prevent micro cracks in PVA material. It's very unlikely you'll print with PVA as its common use is a water solluble support material. Buy the revision that's cheapest with your supplier.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:11 PM, CarloK said:

Yes, you can buy the S-line feeder and leave the flow sensor electronics attached. In fact, the UM2+C was prepared to support this sensor, but it was removed for cost reasons (and replaced by a prostetic). The connector is present on the mainboard and even partial software support is there, the flow error is detected but the warning text is not implemented to show on the screen and neither can be continued.

Ordering codes:
    203732 S5 feeder, left, rev.1

225720 Feeder assembly left (1), rev.2, fine knurl

Both revisions are almost equal, except that the rev.2 has a changed knurl pattern to prevent micro cracks in PVA material. It's very unlikely you'll print with PVA as its common use is a water solluble support material. Buy the revision that's cheapest with your supplier.

Awesome, thanks for confirming that. 

I noticed the red “prosthetic” when I took it apart for cleaning a couple days ago. I assumed it replaced the flow sensor and is what further led me to believe the feeders were the same. That and why would UM engineer two separate feeders, makes more sense to develop one that fits all of your machines.   

I wonder if any S-line owners have spare coarse knurl feeders laying after replacing with the fine knurl… 

can the feeder be used on a UM2+?

2 hours ago, Dana said:

can the feeder be used on a UM2+?

it'll fit on a UM2+ but it spins the wrong way. you can fix that a couple different ways (stepper motor wiring, firmware). but if you just want to print abrasives you're better off just getting the Bondtech DDG. 

great thanks, any I presume a new nozzel/head are required for carbon fibre?