Refurbed S3

MadNess69

Posted · Refurbed S3

Hello All

Back to printing after 5 years and glad to be back in the UM community!  I bought a UM 2 in 2015 and I learned to print on these forums.  Comforting to come back and see the same folks active.  I hope to contribute with my passion for 3d stuff.

So... I got back into 3d modelling and got my S3 two weeks or so ago.  It's amazing, but seems to be broken...   I'm in the US and I bought a refurbished S3 from Dynamism, (fantastic reseller, fast, established, warranty, money back guarantee, etc.) and its manufactured by the well known, but mysterious Illuminarti at Fbrc8. So...with those two companies and these forums, I am stress free about any issues with the S3...they will be taken care of, without a doubt.  Already working with Fbrc8 this week and we are about to get this beast of a printer back in shape.  

Anyway, I'm a UM fan but going to need a bit of help.  My S3 is twitchy bad, from burnt printhead nozzels out of the box to leveling errors, extruder failures, filament change errors, etc...all after producing a UM quality print of up to 5 hours (my longest print on this machine so far). When it prints, and it does, it it prints like a UM.  It might be that this machine got missed in the refurb process, which happens...that's life.  Pretty sure that I could get a new refurbished machine with no problems but I've touched this one... I know what it sounds like, how it "feels"...sappy, I know, but this machine will get a super refurb and I will be a better printer for it.

Thx in advance...I need help with the cooldown and heatup of the nozzels during dual printing ( wrecked an AA core that is going to Fbrc8 in the morning). Ill get into that in a second post.

-MadNess

Posted · Refurbed S3

Hello all!

Now for my printhead problem... 

Printing ABS and Breakaway... 245C and 220C...40mm/sec

The Breakaway head is in standby at 100C.  Prior to switching it heats up, switches and prints.  Too soon.  I watched later, after I removed and replaced the clogged printhead, it starts printing the Breakaway at 196C and the ABS at 203 (on this particular print and model orientation).  Moving a model as far to the left as I can on the glass gives the head temp time to heat up during the switching travel, but I am still trying to figure out my machine and was clueless at this point.  My extruders are not working right so I thought it wasn't feeding and I gave it the panic technique of manually pushing the filament into the head....oops.  The Breakaway was still cold in the nozzle and I pushed the soft material into a coil between the top of the print head and the lift switch....yeah, the machine didn't do that...Fbrc8 is doing a free refurb on the head for me... out of pity, most likely.

Anyway...the extruder ground the filament to shreds...no where to go because the nozzle was too cold...and Fbrc8 helped me extract the print head.  Got it  all up and running and found that timing issue with the nozzle temps.  I don't want to start printing before the nozzle heats up completely.  I saw the Cura settings for the temp differential, but didn't understand it completely so here I am hoping to understand this problem a bit better.

Thanks-MadNess