Unable to use full print bed size with single extruder

scurrscurr

Posted · Unable to use full print bed size with single extruder

Hey there,

so basically I'm trying to print a round object with a diameter of 210mm on my Ultimaker 3 Extended. The Problem now is that Cura is unable to slice my object because "It doesn't fit the build volume".

According to the spec. sheet of the Ultimaker 3 Extended, the build volume for single extrusion should be 215x215x300 so I should be able to slice and print this without any problem, since I'm not even close to some safety margin.

I have already disabled my skirt/build adhesion and checked the machine settings for the correct plate dimensions.

I have also tried disabling the second Extruder without any noticeable effect.

Only thing I haven't tried is modifying the build volume to a bigger value because IMO that could damage/harm the printer in the worst case.

I'm really stuck here and don't really know what to do except asking you guys for some advise. Anybody had the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

Build_Volume_1.png

Machine Settings.png

32 minutes ago, scurrscurr said:

I have already disabled my skirt/build adhesion and checked the machine settings for the correct plate dimensions.

I have also tried disabling the second Extruder without any noticeable effect.

Looking at the grey areas on your screenshot - it seems that both extruders are still enabled.

Here is a thread about how to disable the second extruder:

Good luck!

Hi @scurrscurr,

You cannot print this object at this size with a single nozzle, the with of the bed is approx 255 mm.

If you use both nozzle (AA type), you "might" be able, but it looks to be to big..

Thanks

Torgeir

Posted (edited) · Unable to use full print bed size with single extruder

Hi @scurrscurr,

Sorry, but I misunderstood the issue here..

I've made a 215 mm and 20 mm high "cylinder" in Fusion 360 and got it into Cura 4.8.0 with an UM3E setup.

I can see that you're very close to be able to slice. 

When I'd scaled down to 99.3 % (0.7% down), I could slice the model.

This is very little, so in "theory" it should be possible..

First thing to do;

1)  Select Brim/Skirt to "none"

2)  Deselect print core 2

You will now see the "max print area" using core no1.

If you go to "setting printers" then to "manage printer", you'll now see "Ultimaker 3 Extended" and under here press "Machine settings". 

Here you will see:  X (width) = 233 mm and Y(dept) = 215 mm.

If you increase those two values by 3 mm each, Cura will slice your object.

HOWEVER, I do not know if there is enough safe overrun to do this, so this has to be answered by someone in Ultimaker..

Edit: Both end/stop switches may be a little adjusted in order to add slightly more space..

However, this require new calibration of "core switch" setting and bed clearance..

Please do not try to print like this before all this is checked.

Here is a picture of the simple model I've made for checking this.

Max_Bed_Size.thumb.jpg.843a2c903228e7cd5eeecf8d862a8ef0.jpg

Good Luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Added info.

13 hours ago, Torgeir said:

HOWEVER, I do not know if there is enough safe overrun to do this, so this has to be answered by someone in Ultimaker..

This could work, but there will be a change that the print will shift because the end stop is reached. 

But the best work around is to disable the extruder you are not using like above is mentioned. Please let me know if this is an solution for you @scurrscurr

If not a project file would be helpful and I can take a look at it.

Posted (edited) · Unable to use full print bed size with single extruder

Hi @scurrscurr,

PS.

Just a note, I saw that both "X and Y setting" for your printer actually was set to 215 mm.

Default for the UM3 is; X=233 mm and Y=215 mm. We would normally never adjust this settings.

So after printing this "special" object, -it would be wise to adjust those setting to default again.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Wrong X span.

Hi everyone,

thanks for your replies and your help.

Even though I haven't been able to slice the previously shown model since I had the problem for the first time, I have tried to get behind this problem and implement your solution thoughts.

But somehow I can't disable my second extruder.

@tinkergnome @fvrmr It is still showing the grey area at the side as if two extruders would be enabled even though I have disabled the second extruder. (see picture)

Also I have checked the spec sheet for the UM3E in which the build volume is specified with 215x215x300 as I have it set in my printer. (see 2nd PDF)

@Torgeir Is this wrong?

Sorry for bugging you again and thanks in advance 😄

Cura_Max_Volume.pdf Spec_Sheet.pdf

The nozzle on the left of the printhead cannot physically reach the right of the print bed. Try pushing the printhead all the way to the right, and see where the left nozzle is in relation to the bed. Now do the same thing on the left side of the bed. The same works for the right extruder; it cannot reach as far to the left as the left extruder.

2 hours ago, scurrscurr said:

Also I have checked the spec sheet for the UM3E in which the build volume is specified with 215x215x300 as I have it set in my printer.

Cura comes with a predefined printer definition for the UM3 extended.  You should not (need to) change this.

The 18mm offset between the print cores is considered by Cura - visualized with the grey area at the right (or at the left if you use the second print core).

This leads to a usable print area for the x-direction: 233mm -18mm = 215mm (for prints with a single extruder).

As stated before, the defaults of the machine definition are:

"machine_width":  { "default_value": 233 },
    "machine_depth":  { "default_value": 215 },
    "machine_height": { "default_value": 300 }

• Like 1

Hi @scurrscurr,

Yes, you're right - but this is the normal  max (215mm) when using a single nozzle either left or right (alone).

If you want to use the full X span (233 mm), you'll need to use both nozzles using two AA nozzle here -kind of unpractical for this print..

As you printer can print a "little" wider, -as you wanted, you actually adjust the settings for both axis 3 mm wider!

The distance will be increase on the RIGHT side for the X axe and toward the front for the Y axe.

This is because both end (stop) switches is located in the inner left corner for an UM3 (same as UM2 series of printers).

So you need to check that there is physically enough space to extend both axes those extra 3 mm, without hitting anything due to this increased setting.

After this printing, you must restore to the original setting!

This is normally not something we use to do, however it's a lot better than "rebuilding the printer" for just this job.

Good luck

Torgeir