Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
ltc

heating issue of UM Original

After I make the firmware of UM1 updated with Cura 13.12, the print head can't be well heated.

File "VIDEO0024_01.mp4"

The led monitor of controller also shows wrong temp. For instance, when the nozzle got heated, the temp number sometimes shows from 32 directly to 67. When it reaches 210, it suddenly goes down to 196.

I'm not sure if it is caused by nozzle jam. It looks like overflow.

File "IMAG0357.jpg"

How to repair the problems?

On your video, I see the display of the Ulticontroller first showing a target temperature of 210°C (is this set by Cura over USB?) switching to 0 (this happens e.g. when you open the print dialog in Cura with a USB-connected printer). After that I see just some flickering. If you have your printer connected on USB, try printing from SD card. To my personal experience, connections over USB are quite unsafe and error-prone without a very good error handling of the connection (its ok to upload new firmware but not for printing).

On the mechanical side, first thing to check are the connector screws on the amplifier print on top of the print head. I found they can get loose from vibrations after some time.

Thank you for the reply.

Actually, the video was shot under the situation of printing with USB. The flickering led screen is on heating process and suddenly turns to 0 degree. So I don't understand how to fix it.

Sounds to me as a USB communication problem. The display doesn't flicker if you have the printer just connected but it is not printing, correct?

Could you please post a screenshot of your Cura print dialog showing the temperature slope while you're printing? Including the sudden switch off...