Recipe name display in printer's 'blue' window

OneEffJeff

Posted · Recipe name display in printer's 'blue' window

I recently purchased a JGMaker Magic printer and one of the features I really like is that the recipe 'loaded' in the printer will have its name displayed in the 'blue' printer LCD display/status window so I know what is running. On occasion, I have loaded a recipe only to discover what I installed the incorrect one about 90 minutes into a 3 hour print.  I have looked at the start G Code for the JGMaker printer in Cura and I can't see any command that suggests how this feature is initiated though I am new at this so I'm sure that I have missed something. Any tips or hints on how to create or install this feature would be appreciated. Thank you.

I mean the slicer settings/instructions that are sent to the printer to make an object. The instructions would be what settings are set in the slicer for print quality (fine, medium, draft...), infill, print speed & temp, etc.

Posted (edited) · Recipe name display in printer's 'blue' window

I've never heard of one that can do that.  According to the JGMaker website, your printer has Marlin 1.1.9 firmware and my Ender runs Marlin 1.1.8 which is pretty close.  The LCD screen on the website is identical to the one on my printer.  It only has the bottom line for messages.  I use a plugin which sends the current layer number and the estimated time to finish to the LCD.  Another Cura plugin can send the file name to the LCD.  The bottom line of the LCD is only 22 characters long so it can't hold a lot of information.  The command used is M117.

If you will post one of the Gcode files that has that feature somebody will take a look and see if Cura can do it.  Since the settings aren't part of any commands in a Gcode file I don't think this is possible.  Some of the information regarding settings is present at the end of a Gcode file but since they are there as "comments" they don't get acted on.

By default the LCD does display some current printer settings (feedrate %, hot end temp, bed temp, fan speed %, XYZ location, print time and print %).  But they aren't settings that were used in Cura to set the slice up.  Rather they are what specific lines in the gcode have told the printer, or what the printer over-rides are if adjustments were made in the "Tune" menu.

Edited by GregValiant

Yes, I realize that the command line is M117 but that doesn't show up in the Magic's "Start G Code" file as displayed in Cura that I can see. I presume that feature is imbedded in the firmware but I'm not hooked up to a PC so I can't look. I did see a Filament Friday YouTube which had a short demo about a Cura plug-in that would display a printer "timer countdown" line. Unfortunately, I don't recall what the main topic this YouTube was about so I can't reference it directly but my point is that inserting custom text messages into the display are possible, regardless of the printer (I would imagine).  Like life, the trick is how to do it.

By some improbable quirk of Fate, should I find the location of such a G Code file name insert location, I will  share here. I think it would be a neat plugin.

In Cura go to Extensions | Post Processing  | Modify Gcode and then Select Script.  There are two that apply: Display Filename and Display Progress.  They both send information to the comment line on the LCD so they really can't be used together as the second one would always over-write the first one.

Posted (edited) · Recipe name display in printer's 'blue' window

Thank you! That works although the script fields in the 'set up' area has a four fields. The "text to display" field has to entered manually (unless I'm missing something which is probable) although the help sidebar indicates that the current filename will be the default input.

In any case, thanx again for the help. I can live with the manual entry.

Edited by OneEffJeff
    Update on information