Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
wallan

Any advice on how to get ABS to stick to the glass

Posted (edited) · Any advice on how to get ABS to stick to the glass

Got mu Ultimaker 2 some weeks ago and PLA printing worked more or less fine straight out of the box.

Then I tried ABS.

I really like the ABS because of it's matte finish and also because it handled overhangs a lot better.

However. So far I have only managed to print 1 item in 10 without it warping and coming lose or just coming lose anyway. As an estimate in the later case.

When the print height starts to reach the width of the base it gets lose.

I'm printing on a glue surface with default printer settings for ABS.

I have tried to turn of the Fans witch went a little better but not by much.

I found raft to be best and I also enlarged the raft getting it to stick a little better but still not god enough.

Any advice?

I can also add that I tried to increase the height of the raft but the result of that was that the last layer of the raft not stuck to  the layer below so even though the raft stayed in place the print together with the top raft layer come lose.

Edited by TheDeugd

Posted · Any advice on how to get ABS to stick to the glass

Have you tried using a wide brim to increase the surface area in contact with the bed, rather than a raft?

Also, are you coating the glass with anything to improve adhesion?

I tried an enlarged Raft. Did not try the Brim as it is seems so fragile compared to a Raft.

I use the Brim for PLA print as it is enough in that case and is easy to remove.

So when switching to ABS it was the first i tried.

I did however not enlarge it.

But. Considering the way the ABS came lose I don't think a wider Brim would had made any difference.

However, if it is the recommended solution i will of course try it.

I'm printing using the glue.

I remember reading illuminarti talking about how he uses a wet paper towel to dissolve the glue a bit and then lets it all dry up. I don't know if this would help your specific adherence problem; what I'm imagining is that by actively dissolving the glue to the glass you get better adhesion of the glue to the glass, this substrate layer also provides good adherence to the extruded plastic effectively coupling the two. Anyway just a though, illuminarti will likely shed more light on the subject.

I found his post:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3945-braddocks-grinding-um2-extruder-thread/?p=31203

I haven't used ABS myself but I keep reading about people using a slurry of ABS and Acetone as glue. Apparently that works well. Don't know the specifics though I'm afraid but it should be easy enough to find with google.

I haven't used ABS myself but I keep reading about people using a slurry of ABS and Acetone as glue. Apparently that works well. Don't know the specifics though I'm afraid but it should be easy enough to find with google.

That's a really interesting idea! Hot damn: here's a link http://www.instructables.com/id/100-Warp-Free-MakerBot-3D-Printing/

Ah...

I have made slurry of ABS a long time ago when using it as a glue.

That is an interesting thought.

It will smell like hell but might work.

I will have to get it really thin dough so that the head wont hit it.

And a wet towel yeah.

When I realized the glue was water based I figured out that I could use a sponge to redistribute it.

Works like a charm.

With PLA at least.

Can add that I use a cooling spray on the prints and they more or less pops of.

Well, at least for PLA.

ABS as you understand pops of by itself.

Gonna try that slurry thing but I suppose my girlfriend will freak out.

Excellent do it for science! If your GF says anything just threaten to print out a replacement for her. I'm interested to hear your results.

Excellent do it for science! If your GF says anything just threaten to print out a replacement for her. I'm interested to hear your results.

In the ABS slurry, or the 3D printed girlfriend? :cool:

I'm only printing ABS on the UM2. I find brim really effective, 15-20 lines will do it. Keep the bed at 97-100, but will depend on your exact ABS material. I print the first layer at 105 then reduce using tweakatZ. Keeping the bed too hot will cause a lot of contract in the first 10 or 15 layers, so I don't recommend it. Still experimenting with extrusion temp, but 250 works well. Print speed 30-35mm/s, first layer 20. Really squish the 1st layer in. Should be a continuous glassy surface on the bottom of the print. Glue stick also works well, especially when used with brim. Don't let the brim get too thick, ideally 0.1-0.15mm, that way it creates a flexible air seal. If it's too thick it will also be prone to warping and will no longer act as a seal.

• Like 1

Should be a continuous glassy surface on the bottom of the print.

The point of brim - well first you have to understand why PLA and ABS stick to glass. Apparently it is the van-der-wal force or something like that - but it requires that no air get under. The brim isn't so much to hold it down but more to keep the air leaking in.

Also how hot was your bed? If you keep the bed above the glass temp of ABS then it can't warp. Typically people keep the bottom 5 or 10mm of the plastic above the glass temp. If it is too warm it will sag. 100C is typical for ABS.

• Like 2

I've printed large ABS parts on my UM2 with these settings--

80C bed temperature

50mm/sec speed

250C head temperature

Fans turned off

Glue stick on the glass.

It took me a bunch of tries, but found that you really have to get your bed leveled really nice and tight.

I watch the first layer print, and tune with the screws to make sure the ABS layer is really stuck to the glue layer.

Keep an eye on it for about 15 min. You can tell if it's going to come off or stay adhered.

The ABS slurry (google "ABS juice") is relatively popular. Printing on Kapton tape has its fans also. I hear PET tape is also good.

This guy seems to have some good advice (scroll down to the 'How do I get my filament to stick and STAY stuck?'

http://makergeeks.blogspot.com/2013/12/great-3d-printing-gift-packages-on-sale.html?view=sidebar

Seems the rule is YMMV and stick to the way that you can get to work.....

I just received my UM the other day and it came only with ABS so I have only been able to run a few prints.

As I am tweaking things I notice when printing ABS with a layer of .12, weather I do a raft or not it always broke loose from the heated build platform. But with a layer of .15 it was all good. Im using RepG software with skin50.

Also in the G-code I paged down till I got past the rafting and 1-2 layers of infill and manually added a line to the program to lower the HBP temp to 105.

M109 S105 T1

for the print I was working with its the twisted heart box on thingverse

100% Infill

.18 Layer (anything less and the print head drags through the print)

1 Shell

55 mm/s feed

125 mm/s rapid

225c Extruder temp

115 HBP

My next issue though is I bought a new laptop to run the printer. As it turns out Windows8 does not like Cura

So I have to run RepG on my win7 desktop

Try to put a box over the machine to keep the heat inside, it worked for me