Can Cura be set to start each layer of a print to a specific object first?

Samot_Cura

Posted · Can Cura be set to start each layer of a print to a specific object first?

I've set up my printer to activate a camera remote control after each print layer.  The problem this leaves is a long string of filament trailing from the camera trigger point to the resumed printing.  To get around messing up my print with these strings, I've added a small, additional print object to be the resume object point that doesn't matter if strings are attached.  Now I can't figure out how to force Cura to start printing this object on each layer first.  It always starts with the support structures, which always forces the stringing across the surface of the print object I'm trying to protect!  Anybody know how I can fix this?

Thanks.

CuraPrintPriority.png

• 1 year later...
    Posted · Can Cura be set to start each layer of a print to a specific object first?

This is also my problem.

When I change filament color at a given layer and the nozzle goes back to continue the print, it produces a small defect at the start of the new layer. This is a problem if the new layer is for example a text, because the first character can be messed up.

Thus, I want to use also a small sacrificial  object as the starting object at each layer in order to get the extrusion already stabilized on the main object. 

It worked once, but then I found out it was by chance.

Is there some way of starting the new layers always from one specific object ?

Posted (edited) · Can Cura be set to start each layer of a print to a specific object first?

Support always gets printed first on a layer.

You can bring a Support Blocker mesh into Cura, set it off to the side, and set its Per Model settings to "Print as Support".  The sacrificial block needs to be 1 layer height taller than the Resume layer of your Pause.

My Layer Height is .20 and Initial Layer Height is .20.  Here is a 10 x 10 x 30.2 block set to "Print as Support".

The Pause occurs at the end of Layer 150 and (at my layer heights) that is Z=30.0.

On resume - Layer 151 starts with Support (the sacrificial blocker) at a Z of 30.2.  That is the last layer of the sacrificial blocker.

The blocker needs to be placed between the "park position" you use in the pause, and the model itself.

There are other ways to do this, but I think this is the simplest.

On a small model like I show here the sacrificial block can help with cooling as well since the layer time is longer.

image.thumb.png.5b53ce648c6b0d886f09e3288f23e4d7.png

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1