Difference between detected height of both print cores exceeds realistic values [FIXED FOR ME]

B_STJ

Posted · Difference between detected height of both print cores exceeds realistic values [FIXED FOR ME]

Got the following message today when powering-up the printer: "Difference between detected height of both print cores exceeds realistic values". See attached image.

After reading many posts online with troubleshooting solutions such as 'bad ground causing capacitive sensor to fail' or 'removing at least one print head fixed the problem', I opened the fan door and looked at the capacitive sensor (white PCB with two wires labelled 'sensor' and 'shield').

On both sides are two bent pins coming-out of the plated PCB holes (pins are bent outwards). I guess the company will need to confirm this but maybe these pins are required to come into contact with brass nozzels on each head to complete the circuit or maybe the pin is not required for an electrical contact but the thickness of the plastic caused the head to be out of alignment.

Anyhow, in my case, the right pin was covered with a thin layer of molten plastic (no idea how it got there) and the left pin was bear metal so I simply removed the plastic using tweezers, replaced the print head and proceeded with a full calibration test and all was successful.

Given the problem consistently appeared after powering-up the printer, I powered-off the printer then powered-it back on and the problem no longer appeared (tried a few times).

Hope this helps anyone else having this issue.

Ben

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

• Like 1

Posted · Difference between detected height of both print cores exceeds realistic values [FIXED FOR ME]

That's very strange.  I think it's a coincidence.  I predict your problem still exists.  If you get the error again - watch the calibration - the begining where it does the first two taps of the print bed (left and right core).  It should stop right when it hits the glass.  If it doesn't reach the glass or keeps going down long after it hits the glass then the sensor is faulty (keep radio noise sources 1 meter from the printer if possible - such as cell phones, laptops, transmitters).

But if the taps look perfect and you still get this error then your cores really are probably different.  Maybe the rubber gasket around the nozzle tips is lifting a core or maybe one of the cores is a little longer.  The tolerance on this test I believe is +/- 0.5mm so if one core nozzle is 0.5mm longer then you get this error.  Maybe try swapping out both cores with 2 others or at least swap out one of them.

More often of course you get this error due to sensor issues.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Difference between detected height of both print cores exceeds realistic values [FIXED FOR ME]

We had this error on an Ultimaker S5. It turned out to be a dead capacitive sensor board and since it was replaced we have had zero issues with leveling.

Edited by 2021coyneo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 2021coyneo said:

We had this error on an Ultimaker S5. It turned out to be a dead capacitive sensor board and since it was replaced we have had zero issues with leveling.

Same here although it happened on two occasions for me. I had to replace the sensor board AND the PCB 

• Like 1