Upload custom filament profile from Cura to S5+Material Station

kermitas

Posted · Upload custom filament profile from Cura to S5+Material Station

Hello Dear Community :),
yesterday I spend couple of hours on running back and forth between my laptop and S5 Pro Bundle trying to upload Basf Ultrafuse PLA profile to the printer. I restarted the printer, Cura, imported/exported edited (GUID) profiles, I duplicated profiles... but no luck :/.

Today I received an email from Sander about "Ultimaker Transformation Summit" with (I am quoting):
- "How Ultimaker is becoming a platform company – a lot of great things are coming your way!",
- "How we enable ecosystem partners to innovate on the Ultimaker platform".

I would like to ask the Community: is uploading of custom filament profiles finally working for S5 Pro Bundle (or S5 with Material Station)?

What is the easiest, confirmed-that-working way to upload filament's profile and then being able to select it on S5's screen?

Thanks,

Artur.

PS: S5 firmware 6.3.0, Cura 4.8.0

• Like 1

I don't have a material station so I'm not sure but I think I heard that you can copy the UFP file that cura creates (after slicing save the result on your hard drive) to a USB flash drive.  Then when you insert that into the printer and choose to print that part, it should send the material profile to the material station at that moment.  I think.

I think I read this in recent release notes for either cura or firmware?

• Like 1

Thank you @gr5 for your input.

I would like to hear others that really have Material Station and struggle with custom (other than Ultimaker's) filaments profile(s) that are configured in Cura... but don't not want to appear on S5's touchscreen.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:08 PM, kermitas said:

What is the easiest, confirmed-that-working way to upload filament's profile and then being able to select it on S5's screen?

That would be to connect printer and PC with a direct Ethernet connection and make sure the firewall on the printer is disabled.

Any direct network connection (not through the cloud) works for that purpose.

Once you've made this connection and startup cura (with the printer on) will it automatically send over all the profiles?  Or do you have to do something in Cura first?  Maybe click some button to send the profiles - or print the project that contains the material profile?

• Thanks 1

I am connecting to the printer via local IP (via WiFi) and I didn't experience Cura uploading filament(s) profile(s) :/.

How to prepare profile correctly so I can select it at the S5's screen?

Posted (edited) · Upload custom filament profile from Cura to S5+Material Station

You have to install the profile from Market Place.

As mentioned, the transfer to the printer should happen automatically, e.g. at Cura startup. If it doesn't (and the connection logo is shown in Cura - the check inside the blue dot) your Cura configuration might be corrupt. In such a case, delete (or better rename) your configuration folder, which you find through the menu help->show configuration folder.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

• 3 months later...

I am not sure about your specific material, but maybe I can help anyway if this isn't resolved yet.

I was recently setting up custom profiles (mainly to control for color) and they were not appearing on the material station section of the touch screen. What worked for me was found in the "manage printers" section of the settings tab. From there, select the desired S5, then click on the activate button followed by the "connect via network" button, then select the printer again and press "connect". This should basically make it so that the printer and the computer are linked together as if it were a direct line. As soon as I clicked the "connect" button, a pop up at the bottom of the Cura page came up that said something to the effect of "Transferring new materials to the material station", and I was able to find the new materials through the touchscreen menu.

I hope this can help the OP or anyone else struggling with getting custom materials that have been added to Cura to appear on the S5 touchscreen.

• Like 1

We're aware that transferring (custom) material profiles from Cura to printers is cumbersome (e.g. it only works with a local network connection right now). However we're working on alternatives so that it also can work offline (USB) and via the cloud (Digital Factory) connection, so that all types of customer workflows are covered. I'm not sure when this will be rolled out, but keep an eye out for all the release notes.

• Like 1
    • Laugh 1

• 6 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Upload custom filament profile from Cura to S5+Material Station
    On 8/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, ctbeke said:

We're aware that transferring (custom) material profiles from Cura to printers is cumbersome (e.g. it only works with a local network connection right now). However we're working on alternatives so that it also can work offline (USB) and via the cloud (Digital Factory) connection, so that all types of customer workflows are covered. I'm not sure when this will be rolled out, but keep an eye out for all the release notes.

Hi @ctbeke, I am using custom PLA with S5 bundle pro. I manually added custom filament print profile in cura and loaded the Custom PLA roll in Material station by choosing custom PLA settings. When I print the project form USB, it gives unknown material warning although it shows the material is connected to AA core. When I print however it says "Please load the material" then aborts if I ignore it. That doesn't happen with Tough PLA Black that came with the printer. Normally it pulls the filament all the way up to nozel when I start printing a project from USB after loading it just like above.

When I try printing with cloud, it gives error on printer display "Please reconfigure the printer to start next job. Extruder1: unknown unknown (unknown)."

Is that to do with the above connectivity issue? Do we have a solution for this yet?

20220215_104348.jpg

20220215_104322.jpg

20220215_104252.jpg

20220215_104224.jpg

20220215_104157.png

Edited by amitmonash
    Uploaded images

Hi guys, 

So I was able to resolve extruder issue. The problem is when defining custom filament in Cura. I was using PPLA material. Think I am doing the smart thing by creating a custom Cura profile and choosing PPLA as its Material, I actually wasn't. The issue is that Printer does not have any PPLA profile in it. In printer settings when loading PPLA to Material Station bay B, I selected Custom > PLA. This caused mismatch with Cura print profile. When I changed Cura profile to use Custom PLA instead, it worked.

Hope that helps someone!

Edited by amitmonash
    Spellcheck
    • Like 1