Cores not recognized?

muaddev

Posted · Cores not recognized?

Both cores of my ultimaker 3 are no longer recognized.

If I put a core in its slot, the message keeps reading "empty slot".

When I press with some force on either of those cores, pushing them towards the pcb in the print head, they do temporarily connect.

So there must be some kind of gap between these cores and the pcb.

However, the pcb is locked in place. At the bottom its "extension" is in the hole meant for this extension. At the top is is screwed to the back of the print head, as it should be.

So assuming my pcb is in the correct place, what can I do about this?

The top of the core has a clear plastic part.  When it's all the way in you can hear a click.  Does it click?  Something seems to be blocking your cores from going all the way in.  I'd do some more visual inspecting.

Also maybe it's the connector on the top of the print head.  You can remove the rear 2 screws on the top - they are very very long screws.  Nothing will fall apart as long as you keep the other 2 front screws untouched.

Then the top opens up - a little pannel on the back half of the top and inside push down on the cable connector.  It's common for this to get pulled upwards and eventually lose connection.

23 hours ago, gr5 said:

The top of the core has a clear plastic part.  When it's all the way in you can hear a click.  Does it click?  Something seems to be blocking your cores from going all the way in.  I'd do some more visual inspecting.

Also maybe it's the connector on the top of the print head.  You can remove the rear 2 screws on the top - they are very very long screws.  Nothing will fall apart as long as you keep the other 2 front screws untouched.

Then the top opens up - a little pannel on the back half of the top and inside push down on the cable connector.  It's common for this to get pulled upwards and eventually lose connection.

Thanks for your recommendations.

I already took apart the entire print head and put it back together twice. So I do not think it is the cable connector.

And I do hear some click if I put in the clear plastic parts, but I am not sure if it is as loud als it should be. But I do not see anything in the way there..

Do your cores have gold contacts?  Or are they covered by silvery solder?  If solder - get new cores.  If gold, try cleaning them a little with isopropyl alcohol.  Clean the contacts in the head also.  Make sure not to leave any fuzzy cotton behind.

Did you try changing the PCB in the print head?  Maybe something is loose in there.  Bad solder joint or bad ground or something like that.

I've never heard anyone with your issue so it's rare and I suspect you may just have to slowly replace everything until it goes away.

Sorry, just saw this. I've seen them not read if they're not pushed in far enough. Definitely make sure they click into place. 

I had something like this on my 'rescue' UM3X.  It turned out to be wiring from the capacitive sensor and axial fan were out of position and interfering at the back.  I've also had a certain amount of trouble with a print core whose frame had warped over time.  A pic of the open cavity without the print cores installed might help.