Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Recommended Posts

Posted · Rainbow filaments

I know it's a bit of a craze, but I would like to try out some gloss rainbow/gradient filaments, but I have been pretty much unable to find any in 2.85mm size.

 

Has anyone else come across any, ideally availible in the UK.

 

 

 

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 17.09.11.png

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 17.09.26.png

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments

    You can make your own with nylon filament.

     

    Follow from there. I know it is not gloss, but you can always put on your own gloss. This way you can create your own colour schemes.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments
    18 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

    You can make your own with nylon filament.

     

    Follow from there. I know it is not gloss, but you can always put on your own gloss. This way you can create your own colour schemes.

     

    I was going to say this, but you were first.   :-)

     

    These models came out very well. On Youtube I have also seen videos on which colors/pigments to use, and the whole coloring procedure. If I remember well, some people used food-colors.

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments

    I run a 3D printing facility and this method wouldnt really make sense for the scale and quantity of prints id be interested in using the filament for.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Rainbow filaments
    1 hour ago, geert_2 said:

    some people used food-colors

    Food colours are not light-fast, i.e. will fade. I can only remember seeing Rit Dye used.

     

    1 hour ago, Evavoo said:

    I run a 3D printing facility and this method wouldnt really make sense for the scale and quantity of prints id be interested in using the filament for.

    Yeah, you are right about that.

    Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments

    I stumbled across two companies now when i looked for other stuff and maybe it helps.

     

    First Extrudr, which has 3 different types. They seem to be in Austria.

    Second Unicofil (never heard of them before), which seems to have exactly what you want. They are from Germany. 

     

    But maybe you can get it somewhere shipped to UK.

    Greetings

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments

    Something I just thought about: depending on the job, and if you would only need 2 color bands, maybe it might also be possible to do the coloring trick after printing? Then you can adjust the height of the color bands by dipping it deeper into the water? I think with pre-colored spools the outcome is always going to be a bit unpredictable, and variations in surface area are going to cause variations in color band height.

     

    @kmanstudios: I have no experience with food colors myself, but a friend uses them a lot for cupcakes. But they are not left long enough to fade...   :-)

     

    What about textile colors? They can easily be found in supermarkets here, and should be reasonably stable I think. They work well for cotton and bamboo, but I don't know if they work for synthetic stuff like nylon? I don't even know if they are pigment particles or inks?

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments
    4 hours ago, geert_2 said:

    a friend uses them a lot for cupcakes. But they are not left long enough to fade...   🙂

    😂😂

     

    4 hours ago, geert_2 said:

    What about textile colors?

    Rit Dye is a textile colour dye, so yeah, I would think so.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments
    On 4/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, orlin278 said:

    I stumbled across two companies now when i looked for other stuff and maybe it helps.

     

    First Extrudr, which has 3 different types. They seem to be in Austria.

    Second Unicofil (never heard of them before), which seems to have exactly what you want. They are from Germany. 

     

    But maybe you can get it somewhere shipped to UK.

    Greetings

     

    You are a superstar, thank you!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments

    @Evavoo I'm amazed how many people claim they can't find filament in 2.85mm or 1.75mm.  Every manufacturer (except maybe Prusa) sells both sizes.

     

    1) Try searching for "3mm" as some sellers still call it 3mm or 2.9mm (even though the actual size is 2.85 or 2.9mm).

    2) Try a little harder.  If you can find a filament in 1.75 then the same store will have the same thing in 3mm.

     

    I have had MANY customers with the same complaint as you and it took me all of 5 minutes to find what they needed in the country or region they were in.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Rainbow filaments
    9 minutes ago, gr5 said:

    @Evavoo I'm amazed how many people claim they can't find filament in 2.85mm or 1.75mm.  Every manufacturer (except maybe Prusa) sells both sizes.

     

    1) Try searching for "3mm" as some sellers still call it 3mm or 2.9mm (even though the actual size is 2.85 or 2.9mm).

    2) Try a little harder.  If you can find a filament in 1.75 then the same store will have the same thing in 3mm.

     

    I have had MANY customers with the same complaint as you and it took me all of 5 minutes to find what they needed in the country or region they were in.

     

    Thanks such helpful comments. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • Ultimaker Transformation Summit

        On April 20 - April 23 we will host the Ultimaker Transformation Summit. Come talk to us via Live chat and get inspired by any of our relevant presentations!
        • 6 replies
      • New here? Register your Ultimaker for free 3D printer onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...