Measure Tool plugin

ahoeben

• 4 weeks later...
Posted · Measure Tool plugin
On 11/21/2021 at 1:26 AM, Eth4 said:

Hey! I saw this and I apologize for asking such a dumb question, I'm new to this whole thing. 

How does one download the plugin? Your download was taken down and when I look it up in the marketplace It doesn't show up.

I have same problem. It does not show up in the client marketplace nor in the web marketplace when i am logged in.

When i log out it shows up in web but i can not download it -> "The given package for this author does not exist."

Guess i have to install it manually from your github or something.

• 1 month later...

A truly excellent plugin, thank you Aldo.

For those having difficulties making it work, this is what I did to make the Measure Tool plugin work in Cura 4.0.0:

Go to:
    https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-MeasureTool/
    Click on green “Code” button on the top right
    Select “Download ZIP”
    Wait for it to download
    Unzip the file
    Rename the folder “MeasureTool”

Put the folder in:

Mac:
    /Users/*NAME*/Library/Application Support/cura/4.0/plugins

Win:
    C:\Users\*NAME*\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.0\plugins

This is how I install all Cura plugins, since trying to do it via the website doesn’t always work.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

I would try marketplace first but Artfabs method is a great workaround.  I believe the tools say which range of versions they work with and ahoeben might not have set the minimum version all the way back to 4.0.0 because it's a pain to test in every version.  Just a guess.  So that might be why Artfabs had to do a manual install.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I believe the tools say which range of versions they work with and ahoeben might not have set the minimum version all the way back to 4.0.0 because it's a pain to test in every version.  Just a guess.

Wrong guess. I make sure that all my plugins can be used with as wide a range of versions as possible. Many of them are still compatible with Cura 3.5.

I think it is more that the Marketplace dialog is a pain in the ass (it takes more than a minute to open on my computer), and syncing a selection of plugins via the Marketplace website does not always work. It looks like the Marketplace dialog is getting replaced by something entirely new for the next version of Cura, so that's something.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

I downloaded this tool form the marketplace and I have a ruler that goes active when I select a object , but I have no measuring dots , how do I add these , clicking etc does nothing 

thanks 

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

just made my first 3D design, but when trying to use the measure plugin for cura on my Ubuntu system, it installs, but is not available, no dots appear on build-plate (with or without loaded model)  and/or menu item under Extensions or icon at the left (see pictures). What can be wrong?Screenshot_2022-03-18_21-24-00.png.501da59636be50f4ea514bd3702dd92e.png

Screenshot_2022-03-18_21-21-44.png

Screenshot_2022-03-18_21-20-29.png

10 hours ago, cato2002 said:

What can be wrong?

Please post a link to your cura.log file, which can be found via Help -> Show configuration folder. (probably in ~/.local/share/cura/4.4. By the way, any reason in particular that you are using Cura 4.4, instead of Cura 4.13?

On 3/7/2022 at 2:11 PM, electricdave said:

I have a ruler that goes active when I select a object , but I have no measuring dots

Do you get a panel when you click on the ruler? What does the panel say?

2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Please post a link to your cura.log file, which can be found via Help -> Show configuration folder. (probably in ~/.local/share/cura/4.4. By the way, any reason in particular that you are using Cura 4.4, instead of Cura 4.13?

cura 4,4: just installed the cura found in the Ubuntu synaptic Package manager. And looking in the log file, I see errors:

2022-03-19 10:36:07,557 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [84]: Exception: Import error loading module MeasureTool
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,557 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,557 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/UM/PluginRegistry.py", line 540, in _findPlugin
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,557 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:     module = imp.load_module(plugin_id, file, path, desc) #type: ignore #MyPy gets the wrong output type from imp.find_module for some reason.
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.8/imp.py", line 244, in load_module
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:     return load_package(name, filename)
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.8/imp.py", line 216, in load_package
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:     return _load(spec)
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 702, in _load
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 848, in exec_module
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "/home/caren/.local/share/cura/4.4/plugins/MeasureTool/MeasureTool/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:     from . import MeasureTool
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "/home/caren/.local/share/cura/4.4/plugins/MeasureTool/MeasureTool/MeasureTool.py", line 16, in <module>
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:     from .MeasureToolHandle import MeasureToolHandle
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,558 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:   File "/home/caren/.local/share/cura/4.4/plugins/MeasureTool/MeasureTool/MeasureToolHandle.py", line 10, in <module>
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,559 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]:     import trimesh
    2022-03-19 10:36:07,559 - ERROR - [MainThread] UM.Logger.logException [88]: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'trimesh'

Screenshot_2022-03-19_10-29-49.thumb.png.170cf1bcacb2cc053a24fc7c857e8d97.png

Posted (edited) · Measure Tool plugin
    9 minutes ago, cato2002 said:

just installed the cura found in the Ubuntu synaptic Package manager

That package is not maintained by Ultimaker, and it is missing dependencies. These missing dependencies don't just affect the Measure Tool plugin. Cura 4.4.1 is also more than 2 years old. Use the AppImage provided by Ultimaker instead of that package.

Edited by ahoeben

2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

That package is not maintained by Ultimaker, and it is missing dependencies. These missing dependencies don't just affect the Measure Tool plugin. Cura 4.4.1 is also more than 2 years old. Use the AppImage provided by Ultimaker instead of that package.

THANKS!!! 4.13 is working with the plugin!

Hey Ahoeben, Im not seeing the plugin in the marketplace regardless if Im logged in or not. Is there another way to download it besides the manual way from Github? Thanks!

If you are using the Cura 5 beta, read this post:

For other recent versions of Cura, the plugin is available in the Marketplace.

It’s a great plugin, one that really should have been included in the software to bring with. However, I have a really hard time being accurate with it. The circles don’t snap to any geometry as I’ve seen mentioned in this thread, so one is left to guess if the center of the circle is in correct alignment or not.

Without the ability to be precise, the tool is much less useful, unfortunately. 

Hopefully future updates can improve this aspect. 

Posted (edited) · Measure Tool plugin
    3 hours ago, b00zled said:

The circles don’t snap to any geometry as I’ve seen mentioned in this thread

They do actually snap to the geometry, but not to edges or vertices. Implementing that is on my todo list, but that list is fairly long and I would prefer to do this in a way that performs well, regardless of the complexity of the model, which is not trivial.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

5 hours ago, b00zled said:

It’s a great plugin, one that really should have been included in the software to bring with.

That's the main problem with the @fieldOfView's plugins.  All of them should be included in the software as standard 😄

• Like 1

I am working on a new version of the plugin, with a couple of neat enhancements:

image.thumb.png.5ebbecde8d96610089788557ea380227.png

There's an option to snap to model points ("vertices"). This option is only available if your GPU supports OpenGL 4.1.

With the new version, you can "lock" the From point, so it is easier to measure the distance to multiple points from a single origin. And the measure tool now also has French, Italian and Dutch translations.

A prerelease is available now, and if testing goes well it should be available on the Marketplace soon:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-MeasureTool/releases/tag/v1.1.1-DEV

• Thanks 1

Version 1.2.0 of the Measure Tool plugin is now available in the Marketplace, containing the Snap and Lock features mentioned above as well as translations into French, Italian and Dutch.

• Like 1

I made this account just to reply and help on this one as I've semi-solved it:

Occasionally, when activating the tool from the left side bar, only a single dot is visible on the center of the print bed, and when you click on it (or anything on the bed), it disappears. This is solved (in my case) by clicking to/front PREPARE and PREVIEW on the same blue bar you see Ultimaker Cura, Marketplace, and Sign In.

I'm not sure why this happens or why this fixes it, just my experience using this plugin and loving it, also wondering how the heck it's not already baked into cura tools .

• Like 1

I will try to reproduce your issue and see why this is happening.

Do you have any other plugins enabled?